Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XT Clone Not Reading Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I forgot to ask--what are you using for a floppy controller? Does it have switches or jumpers?
    How do I find out? (sry for the noobness)

Quote Originally Posted by holzon View Post
    How do I go into non turbo mode?
    Technical information on the motherboard (e.g. the user's manual) is expected to show whether or not your motherboard has non-turbo/turbo modes; and if it does have non-turbo/turbo modes, how to switch between the modes.

Quote Originally Posted by holzon View Post
    So the thing about formatting a fresh disk I have NOT heard of thought of anywhere. I suppose I'm going to have to order some new ones. Both the failures I'm getting seem to be coming from both drives so I think you're right. It's probably something not on the heads issue. This also makes me think its not a disk compatibility thing though?? hmmm
    Ok, so from what you describe, it sounds like it could be the floppy cable. Test and/or replace that.

It could also be a faulty or mis-configured floppy controller. Please do pull that out and take some pictures and list any marking on it. (Floppy controllers in clones are rarely standard)

So you don't have any extra floppy disks to reformat? Well get some more One can never have too many floppy disks.

I'd also try a boot floppy and see if it will boot that. A software configuration problem or virus on the hard drive could prevent communication to the floppy, although this is a little unlikely.

If you had some other way to get software on to the computer (such as Laplink, INTERLNK/INTERSVR if already on the drive, an XT-IDE to drop in, or plopping the drive in another system) I would try testing the floppy drives with a tool that bypasses DOS/BIOS such as ImageDisk. If nothing else, it might give you more meaningful error results.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Ok, so from what you describe, it sounds like it could be the floppy cable. Test and/or replace that.

It could also be a faulty or mis-configured floppy controller. Please do pull that out and take some pictures and list any marking on it. (Floppy controllers in clones are rarely standard)

So you don't have any extra floppy disks to reformat? Well get some more One can never have too many floppy disks.

I'd also try a boot floppy and see if it will boot that. A software configuration problem or virus on the hard drive could prevent communication to the floppy, although this is a little unlikely.

If you had some other way to get software on to the computer (such as Laplink, INTERLNK/INTERSVR if already on the drive, an XT-IDE to drop in, or plopping the drive in another system) I would try testing the floppy drives with a tool that bypasses DOS/BIOS such as ImageDisk. If nothing else, it might give you more meaningful error results.
    New vid showing the issue further.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoZe1TyU7nI

Blog Entries

I see both "Seek Error" and "General Failure" error on your display.

Seek error generally means that the track 0 sensor signal isn't getting through--the controller is attempting to step the drive all the way out and it's not getting the track 0 indication.

Does the drive carriage move in response to the power-on test?

I see both "Seek Error" and "General Failure" error on your display.

Seek error generally means that the track 0 sensor signal isn't getting through--the controller is attempting to step the drive all the way out and it's not getting the track 0 indication.

Does the drive carriage move in response to the power-on test?
    Yes, when it powers on it lights up and does the sound.
    (btw I was new member before so I couldn't instantly post but I guess I can now. Sorry for delays to responses.)

Blog Entries

May I assume that you have the terminator installed on the 5.25" drive?

What is that?

These are pictures of the 3.5 floppy drive. I can post the other drive too its just a little hard to get to.
    IMG_1283.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1285.jpg

Blog Entries

It's the 5.25" drive that I'm interested in--what is the make and model? I can probably point you to settings. It's usually printed on a label on the rear of the drive.