Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XT Clone Not Reading Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It's the 5.25" drive that I'm interested in--what is the make and model? I can probably point you to settings. It's usually printed on a label on the rear of the drive.
    It is an M2551A Fujitsu 5.25 Floppy Drive

Also I just formatted the C: drive hoping clearing the software would help the drives be read but now I dont even have the HELP option this drivin me nuts

It's the 5.25" drive that I'm interested in--what is the make and model? I can probably point you to settings. It's usually printed on a label on the rear of the drive.
    I gave you the info

Blog Entries

Swap out the floppy disk card with a generic 16-bit multi o/i card with fdd support and see what happens. Don't worry about the overhanging part as thats for ide only.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Please describe what jumpers are set on your M2551A. That is a fairly standard drive used in clone PCs.

Try testing the system with only one drive at a time plugged in.

I'm not quite sure what that OP/ST jumper on the 720k drive is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Please describe what jumpers are set on your M2551A. That is a fairly standard drive used in clone PCs.

Try testing the system with only one drive at a time plugged in.

I'm not quite sure what that OP/ST jumper on the 720k drive is supposed to be.
    How do I find out what the jumpers are?

Also now when I start it, I think its trying to boot from disk because i formatted the hard drive trying to fix the problem. Did I screw it up? I keep getting this message every boot. ughh

ddddddddddddd.jpg

Blog Entries

The message is saying pretty much what's wrong. (A) the disk has an error preventing reading of necessary data or (B) the disk doesn't contain the necessary system files (MSDOS.SYS IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM) to boot.

Blog Entries

When I mention the terminator, I was referring to the black SIP plugged into the header near the rear of the drive, thus:

Also note that the second drive select pad (DS1) is jumpered/linked and the the RDY pads are not linked.

When I mention the terminator, I was referring to the black SIP plugged into the header near the rear of the drive, thus:

Also note that the second drive select pad (DS1) is jumpered/linked and the the RDY pads are not linked.
    Oh yes, I have both these plugged in.
    So if it needs to boot from a disk now but it can't read a disk in the first place am I screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by holzon View Post
    Oh yes, I have both these plugged in.
    No, it doesn't appear that you do.

61378161_197339314571942_8407542410569056256_n.jpg
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step