Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mostek Z80 CP/M Computer System from 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Maggi#9295 View Post
    I recently got aware of a very old (and very rare?) Mostek Computer (from what I could find out its called SYS-80FT), featuring:
    I see you referred to the system as a "SYS-80FT." When I wrote a CP/M BIOS to support my AID-80F, it looks like I had also determined it would run on the SYS-80FT. Here is a part of the source file header in my BIOS:

;************************************************* ***************************
    ;
    ; CP/M 2.2 BIOS for Mostek Development System computers. This
    ; includes the AID-80F and SYS-80FT systems. The primary criteria
    ; is presence of the SDB-80 (or SDB-80E) CPU board and the FLP-80
    ; (or FLP-80E) floppy controller board. The monitor PROMs on the
    ; SDB-80 CPU board provide disk I/O support routines that are
    ; called by this BIOS to do disk I/O.
    ;

Mike

Mike has you on the right track. Make sure to set the write protect the right way on the disk. Very few failures will cause the drive to ignore the write protect. It is a hardware function of the drive.
    Dwight

I have checked the ROM locations you meantioned, and they are the same as yours. while that i found out, thatsome keys dont work at all, some need several hits until they appear on the screen(i might have to replace the foam pads inside anyways).
    here is a pic of the screen of the memory locations: IMG_2387.jpg
    I also inserted some diks, the CP/M disk seems to boot just fine, but i cant type anything in. always when i hit a key the disk seems to get loaded again and the CP/M prompt appears again, is there a special way you type something in CP/M?
    IMG_2393.jpg
    the MOS 80 disk gave me the following error:
    IMG_2394.jpg
    and another disk labeled with "BASIC Games & Sargon Chess" gave me a FLP-80DOS prompt...
    IMG_2397.jpg

Yeah, as far as i know its called SYS-80FT(its mentioned in some of the databooks and on some floppys). Te hardware mentioned in your file header is also th hardware in my computer.
    So, as mentioned, i have no idea how to type anything in CP/M, and its even more complicated when the "R" key is one of the ones that dont work, so no "dir" commnd for now i guess...
    oh, and i checked again, yeah, 10 posts. im silly tht i havent looked that up before...

I also inserted some diks, the CP/M disk seems to boot just fine
    These may be the only surviving copies of this software.
    Until you have a way to archive what is on them, it is insane just to be putting them into the machine to
    just see what happens.

Maggi,

seems you are located .DE
    There are several people who will volunteer to image these disks for you ( and us...), depending on your exact location.
    As Al said it would be good to have these image'd

There is also a .DE centric classic computing forum : https://forum.classic-computing.de/forum/ but the public here is of course wider.

Jos

Try the letter U. I have a later CP/M that often requires a USR number before you can do anything.
    Dwight

.....Dwight, you are a real troubleshooting expert.
    The foil-in-a-sponge idea is very very clever.....
    There you go Dwight.....you can't hide behind modesty no more...

Camera ready....light.....sound..........Action...!!!
    Youtube is waiting for you!

ziloo

The CP/M typing issue could somehow be related to your keyboard, or the CP/M image in the boot tracks could be corrupt yet still passing CRC checks, or more likely, you may have some bad RAM up high where the BIOS gets loaded. A RAM issue could be affecting your M/OS-80 boot as well.

I assume you've done some preliminary cleaning of your drives' moving parts and cleaned the heads with a Q-tip and alcohol or the like? If not, I'd at least clean the heads before doing any more work with the disks.

You can archive your disks to a PC using the FLOP2PC utility. This program will run on your machine even without a bootable disk. You'll need to get a terminal emulator up and running on your PC and connect your PC directly to the "Serial Terminal" port on the Mostek. If running on a Windows computer, I'd use the TeraTerm terminal emulator. I know it works well the the XMODEM transfers done by FLOP2PC and PC2FLOP. When you tried before and it didn't work, what type of cable did you use between the PC and the Mostek computer?

TeraTerm: http://altairclone.com/downloads/teraterm477.zip

Mostek disk image utilities (see the ReadMe file): http://deramp.com/downloads/mostek/A...mage_transfer/

You could also run PC2FLOP and write an image of my CP/M to a new disk and boot from that disk - I know it's good and runs on your machine. It also includes the PCGET and PCPUT utilities to read and write individual files between the CP/M system and a PC. The CP/M image also includes PC2FLOP and FLOP2PC ready to run so that you won't have to manually load the programs each time through the DDT-80 monitor.

My CP/M 2.2 for the Mostek: http://deramp.com/downloads/mostek/A...ges/CPM%202.2/

Mike

Now that I think about it, we should really make sure your RAM is all good before we bother archiving disks. The archive program (FLOP2PC) buffers as much as it can read from disk in RAM, so bad RAM could result in a bad archive image. The opposite is true as well with regard to writing a new disk from a disk image (PC2FLOP).

I'll port a simple yet thorough memory test program I have to the Mostek tonight and send you instructions for getting it loaded onto your computer using the DDT-80 monitor in PROM. However, you will have to get your Mostek working with a terminal emulator, so in the meantime, see if you can get the monitor to come up using a terminal emulator as your console port.

Mike

I've posted the memory test and a simple binary loader you can enter using the ROM monitor to then load the memory test into RAM. See the headers in MEMEST.ASM and LOADER.ASM for additional information.

http://deramp.com/downloads/mostek/AID-80F/utilities/

Enter the monitor by resetting the machine and then pressing RETURN with no disk inserted. Then type in the bytes of the binary loader shown in LOADER.PRN:

DSK ERR
    .M 100 (Enter loader program - right column)
    0100 04 21
    0101 F3 00
    0102 04 00
    0103 FB DB
    0104 04 DD
    0105 FB E6
    0106 04 40
    0107 FB CA
    0108 04 03
    0109 FB 01
    010A 04 DB
    010B FB DC
    010C 04 77
    010D FB 23
    010E 04 C3
    010F FB 03
    0110 04 01
    0111 FB .

Execute the binary loader just typed in with the "E"xecute command (followed by RETURN). At this point, send the file MEMTEST.BIN with a simple binary file send. Nothing is shown on the screen during this step. Once the file is sent, reset the machine and then press RETURN to enter the monitor again.

.E 100
    (Send the file MEMTEST.BIN simple binary send)
    (After transfer, reset the machine, then press RETURN)

DSK ERR

Execute the MEMTEST program, which is now in RAM at zero, using the "E"xecute command. The prompt for memory test is an asterisk. At the asterisk, type the memory range to test (start at 0100, not zero). Addresses must be entered as four digits. If a mistake is made, press ESC to start the entry over. The test begins running as soon as the last digit of the end address is typed - don't press RETURN. As the test executes, a '.' pacifier is displayed for each pass through the range specified. The 0100-DFFF range takes about 6-8 seconds for each pass. Abort the test by pressing ESC. The test will exit as soon as it completes the pass it is in.

The ranges of RAM to test are 0100-DFFF and F000-FFFF.

.E 0
    (Executes the MEMTEST program)

*0100 DFFF ........
    *F000 FFFF ........

Mike