Image Map Image Map
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 128

Thread: Mostek Z80 CP/M Computer System from 1979

  1. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    What makes this system special? Is it any more so than, say, an Intel MDS or Zilog MCZ?
    I have to admit that this is a qood question! I dont know much about the Intel MDS and never heard of the Zilog MCZ, but when i look at the pictures they look very similair to this system. The "special" thing is that this Computer apparently wasnt sold very well and/or wasnt very popular. Mostek made a few Computers, for example the AIM-80 or the MD series, but this one was robably the only one that was designed for Desktop use(besides the AIM-80, but that needs an extarnal terminal). Compared to the MDS or MCZ this Computer is nothing special. But I think its rarity makes it special in some way(this sounds very boastful, im sorry for that ) but i think you have to decide wether this is a special computer or not

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    32,222
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Almost every manufacturer of an MPU offered a development system. This extends to AMD, National Semi, General Instruments, TI, etc. That's why I'm a bit nonplussed about the Mostek one.

  3. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggi#9295 View Post
    Sorry for the late Answer, there was a error with viewing posts. It has a Moniter to view memory contents, i dont think there is one to view disk contents. What do you mean by "( that might include a message to Santa )"?
    The reference to Santa was more of a joke. I only meant that a *.TXT file would be considered a generic text file that was like ASCII. Being generic, it could be used for anything, even a message to Santa.
    Dwight

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Almost every manufacturer of an MPU offered a development system. This extends to AMD, National Semi, General Instruments, TI, etc. That's why I'm a bit nonplussed about the Mostek one.
    To be honest I never knew that so many companys produced systems like this, but when I think about it that makes sense. Thw Mostek one might not be special in technical senses, but I like it, especially it the first really old system I own

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    The reference to Santa was more of a joke. I only meant that a *.TXT file would be considered a generic text file that was like ASCII. Being generic, it could be used for anything, even a message to Santa.
    Dwight
    Ah okay, I lost my sense of humor there! Now I got it. Like I said, I just saved the Terminal outputs of the file listnings in .txt files.

  5. #105

    Default

    These older development systems are rare and special. Don't necessarily think of that as meaning valuable. I always think of them as being worth saving. They were not just some machine turned out by the thousands. The rewards are not is have a machine that you are afraid to touch. They are meant to compute.
    Dwight

  6. #106

    Default

    ...and I’m quite pleased you picked up the computer so that my work in getting the US version of the system up and running was finally of benefit to another hobbyist!

    Mike

  7. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    These older development systems are rare and special. Don't necessarily think of that as meaning valuable. I always think of them as being worth saving. They were not just some machine turned out by the thousands. The rewards are not is have a machine that you are afraid to touch. They are meant to compute.
    I dont care if its valuable, I do not want to sell this machine anyways. I am happy that i saved it and got it working. I only loked at the games so far, I should realy look at all the other programs used on this machine.

    Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    ...and I’m quite pleased you picked up the computer so that my work in getting the US version of the system up and running was finally of benefit to another hobbyist!
    Thats nice to hear, I would not have been able to get it runing without your help! Thanks a lot! I would be Interested if there are more Mostek Systems out there...

  8. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggi#9295 View Post
    I would be Interested if there are more Mostek Systems out there...
    Another hobbyist picked up an AID-80F off eBay shortly after I got mine (from a friend who worked at Mostek). I was able to make backup disk images of the floppies that came with his system, but unfortunately, he quickly fried his computer (not sure how) and he sold it off for parts. He was very vague about what happened to the system after he damaged it.

    Mike

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    Another hobbyist picked up an AID-80F off eBay shortly after I got mine (from a friend who worked at Mostek). I was able to make backup disk images of the floppies that came with his system, but unfortunately, he quickly fried his computer (not sure how) and he sold it off for parts. He was very vague about what happened to the system after he damaged it.
    Ouch... too bad that he sold it for parts again... another computer lost forever. I would be interested what happened, maybe just some components was broken, but it would take a long time to find that out. Or maybe, because he was so "vague", he made some stupid mistake and doesnt want anyone to know that...
    I also found that someone in this thread also owns the computer: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...r-of-some-sort, but there was no response after I left an post in the thread letting them know I could help booting it up, and also no response from a Private Message I send, I dont think he still owns it...

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    I've added some related documents I just found to
    http://bitsavers.org/components/mostek/z80

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •