Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using DOSEMU on 64-bit Linux issues

Blog Entries

How well does it support Linux (long, special characters) file names? It's been a long time since I looked at it--how well does it support 32-bit DPMI?

People may wish to look at https://github.com/stsp/dosemu2 as it's where all current Dosemu development is going on. As others have stated, some Linux kernel security tightening has made the 1.4.0.x version in most repos less straightforward to use, Dosemu2 has been rewritten to avoid those issues where possible on 32bit kernels, and on 64bit platforms it uses the kernel's kvm module for near native speed. For Ubuntu there's a PPA https://launchpad.net/~dosemu2/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Hope it helps.

Blog Entries

Thanks--I'll have a look and get back to the list with my results!

Blog Entries

Well, DOSEMU2 installs, but is going to take a heckua lot of reading as it doesn't work quite the same way. I've already discovered the -dumb flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    How well does it support Linux (long, special characters) file names? It's been a long time since I looked at it--how well does it support 32-bit DPMI?
    In DOSBOX, DPMI and VCPI should "just work" in most cases. Not sure about the former, don't have any weird filenames myself.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

I installed and tried DOSBOX. Maybe someone can solve this problem:

I want to run it in an xterm window, complete with editing (via mouse). I can do this in VirtualBox and DOSEMU, but the window that DOSBOX runs in has no editing menu, nor does it allow me to change the displayed font (I'm using a WQHD monitor, so the DOSBOX window is very small).

I installed DOSEMU2. It's close, but how does one get a delete or backspace key that works? Not even Ctrl-H works.

Dosemu2 has several display modes:
    -X X-windows
    -S SDL
    -t terminal (slang)
    -td terminal (dumb)

It sounds like you are using -td mode, that's mainly used for running a DOS command and capturing its output back in Linux which is useful for using old DOS compilers etc. If for some reason you need to run in an xterm, then -t is probably a better option, certainly the backspace key works there for me. Other than that both SDL and X-Windows modes allow cut and paste both within the window and to the host, although somewhat unintuitively you need to hold the left shift key down whilst doing this.

Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll give that a try--with original DOSEMU, I've always used -t, but the documentation is a bit puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I installed and tried DOSBOX. Maybe someone can solve this problem:

I want to run it in an xterm window, complete with editing (via mouse). I can do this in VirtualBox and DOSEMU, but the window that DOSBOX runs in has no editing menu, nor does it allow me to change the displayed font (I'm using a WQHD monitor, so the DOSBOX window is very small).

I installed DOSEMU2. It's close, but how does one get a delete or backspace key that works? Not even Ctrl-H works.
    If you absolutely need that, then no, DOSBOX won't work for you. It provides an emulation of the PC's video over SDL, so it's strictly a graphical window, no cut and paste.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

That's what I thought--my work is nearly 100% text.

Thanks for verifying that!