Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Using DOSEMU on 64-bit Linux issues

Maybe it's a function of the terminal it's run in? Holding left shift key and triple clicking selects the whole line for me in an lxterminal (Lubuntu).

Blog Entries

Ah, right shfit+mouse click works here on XFCE4 (Xubuntu). Thanks! Actually, I think any shift+mouse click works.

Welcome to how I cannot fathom how/why people do development work of anything but the Linux kernel under Linux. Well, one of the many, MANY reasons -- just like the many MANY reasons I cannot use it as my daily driver desktop OS.

That and I'd prefer DOSBox or VirtualBox level isolation, since the last thing I want DOS to have access to is the local filesystem above any directory I map...

What is the REAL problem with using DOSBox, are you just missing the security hole of filesystem that shouldn't be unplugged? In a way that mapping a folder as a drive doesn't provide? Is alt-tab or alt-F# between DOS and a terminal session really so hard?
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

Because I mix use of Linux tools with DOS tools (and in some cases, CP/M tools).

DOSBox doesn't allow that to be done easily. Even VirtualBox running Windows is easier to use than DOSBox.

You forget that I'm not a hobbyist. Most of what I do is data recovery and very often, that depends on using older software tools to get the job done. So, while I may use a Linux tool to obtain the data from some medium, the key to actually converting the data lies in some piece of software for which I have nothing but the executable binary. In some cases, that may even extend to using CP/M software to do the job.

So, do you have a Win10 or Linux tool that extracts and converts data from 8" double-sided Displaywriter floppy images?
    Last edited by Chuck(G); May 23rd, 2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Because I mix use of Linux tools with DOS tools (and in some cases, CP/M tools).
    So map the folder you're operating with (single for security since f*** knows what DOS would do with full tree access) to a drive. Open the terminal in that folder. ALT-TAB!

MOUNT D /usr/whoever/DosBoxDrive

Or whatever the directory / user you're working from is... and be done with it. It's not rocket science; again, is alt-tab REALLY that hard to do?

DOSBox doesn't allow that to be done easily. Even VirtualBox running Windows is easier to use than DOSBox.

So, do you have a Win10 or Linux tool that extracts and converts data from 8" double-sided Displaywriter floppy images?
    Hmm... would that even work from DOSEMU given the hardware isolation of *nix? I mean, non-standard device parameters are something *nix is SUPPOSED to exist to prevent.

I take it "MOUNT A /dev/fd0 -t floppy" doesn't provide the right level of device control?
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

You misunderstand. I can get the images using my older systems--but the conversion tool exists in DOS form only. While it's true that I could use DOSBox, the gyrations are more involved = lost time. I can create a Linux script file to handle, say, 50-100 images using DOSEMU, but DOSBox presents a special problem.

I can see where DOSBox might be attractive to those who need video graphics, sound and authentic retro-PC performance. None of that interests me--I process data. Someone ships me a pile of 7-track tapes or 8" CPT floppies and wants the data in some sort of modern readable format. I don't give a fig for graphics, sound or gaming in general.

Very often, my activities involve several systems--one with the hardware and software to access the physical medium and another to perform conversion. I get requests like "Can you process these 8" floppies (we don't know where they came from or what equipment was used to create them), convert the data to Microsoft Word and upload it to an AWS server?"

I'm looking at a box of DC600A QIC cartridges, one 100MB Zip cartridge, several 3.5" floppies and 3 TR-3 carts and a request from an archivist seeking to retrieve data from between 1991-97 in modern readable format. What was used to create any of the preceding items, you ask? Heckifsheknows.

I'd hate to be a digital archivist in today's world. "Here's a box of stuff that we found in a stairwell. See if there's anything important there."

"I'm having this issue with software that isn't working as designed."

"Well, use this other software!"

"That isn't even designed to work the same way."

"Well, why would you even want to work that way?"
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

You misunderstand. I can get the images using my older systems--but the conversion tool exists in DOS form only. While it's true that I could use DOSBox, the gyrations are more involved = lost time. I can create a Linux script file to handle, say, 50-100 images using DOSEMU, but DOSBox presents a special problem.
    How so? Just write a .conf file that is set up to mount the work directory and run your program with any files desired, then run DOSBox with a batch file that exits when the program finishes. Just turn off all the fancy render crap like scalers and set the frameskip to something absurd like 60 to give it a bit more speed (there are times I wish it had a "no display" option).

I'd probably also pipe the output from your program if it matters to a local file.

Code:
    [sdl]
    fullscreen=false
    fulldouble=false
    fullresolution=desktop
    windowresolution=640x400
    output=surface
    autolock=true
    sensitivity=100
    waitonerror=true
    priority=higher,normal
    pixelshader=none
    usescancodes=false
    overscan=0

[dosbox]
    machine=hercules
    memsize=16

[render]
    frameskip=60
    aspect=false
    linewise=false
    char9=false
    doublescan=false
    scaler=none
    autofit=false

[cpu]
    core=auto
    cputype=auto
    cycles=100%
    # yes, % is an option

[keyboard]
    aux=false
    auxdevice=intellimouse

[mixer]
    nosound=true
    swapstereo=false
    rate=11025
    blocksize=1024
    prebuffer=20

[midi]
    mpu401=none

[sblaster]
    sbtype=none

[gus]
    gus=false

[speaker]
    pcspeaker=false
    tandy=false
    disney=false
    ps1audio=off

[joystick]
    joysticktype=none

[serial]
    serial1=disabled
    serial2=disabled
    serial3=disabled
    serial4=disabled

[printer]
    printer=false

[parallel]
    parallel1=disabled
    parallel2=disabled
    parallel3=disabled
    dongle=false

[dos]
    xms=true
    ems=true
    umb=true
    umb start=0
    umb end=0
    dynamic kernel allocation=false
    keep umb on boot=false
    keep private area on boot=false
    private area in umb=true
    automount=true
    int33=true
    biosps2=true
    keyboardlayout=auto
    dbcs=true
    filenamechar=true
    collating and uppercase=true
    files=127

[ipx]
    ipx=false

[ne2000]
    ne2000=false

[ide, primary]
    enable=true
    int13fakeio=false
    int13fakev86io=false

[ide, secondary]
    enable=true
    int13fakeio=false
    int13fakev86io=false

[ide, tertiary]
    enable=true
    int13fakeio=false
    int13fakev86io=false

[ide, quaternary]
    enable=true
    int13fakeio=false
    int13fakev86io=false

[autoexec]
    @echo off
    mount c /yourPath
    c:
    yourfile.bat
    exit
    Change yourPath to the path you're working in, edit the bat file as appropriate for the operation. Done.

Assuming of course the programs in question require no user input. If they do you might want to up the video settings.

Not some great thing to struggle with if you just want to run a few DOS commands for data processing from a terminal session. Just make something that creates/edits the bat file as needed if you need to change the filenames your conversion program processes. Overhead should be minimal once you disable all the extra bells and whistles, and tell it to go ahead and use 100% of the thread allocation.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

One possible option is to pass the command in on the dosbox command line via '-c'. For instance:

Code:
    dosbox -c "dir /w" -c exit
    No need to change any configuration files except to maybe mount a Linux directory as a DOS drive.

Blog Entries

Why bother? DOSEMU2 works well enough right now.

Perhaps if I changed to doing my work on non-x86 (eg ARM) boxes, DOSBox might be the only real choice, but I think that QEMU (which nobody has suggested for x86) might be an option as well.