Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using DOSEMU on 64-bit Linux issues

Blog Entries

I'm about ready to give up on Dosemu2--the documentation is terrible. You don't know what's supposed to be part of the old 1.x dosemu and what's new.

What did it for me was trying to edit the content of D:\AUTOEXEC.BAT. Doesn't edit in a DOSEMU window, so I thought I'd edit the copy in /usr/share/dosemu/dosemu2. I can change it there, but the file on dosemu2 bootup remains stubbornly the same.

About all I can determine is that I'll have to recompile from source. That's pretty sucky to change a single startup file. DOSEMU was far more straightforward. I don't know what the -2 people are trying to do.

And I can't seem to get long file names working on redirected native volumes. Short file names only, which really sucks.

Hi Chuck, are you using the built in FDPP DOS or have you installed a set of normal DOS startup files? If it's the FDPP version, there are different master files AUTOFDPP.BAT and FDPPCONF.SYS (which includes USERHOOK.SYS if it exists). This is all fairly new and I tend to use a standard DOS myself, but if you are having problems they are normally resolved quickly if raise an issue on the github issue tracker.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've been quietly plugging away on this one--it's very frustrating, mostly due to lack of coherent documentation. I do understand that working from a beta release carries the issue of "huh?".

What I learned so far is one needs to purge every last vestige of the 1.x DOSEMU--and that means going after the old configuration files that a simple "apt purge" doesn't get. It seems that DOSEMU2 can get confused otherwise.

Right now, I'm setting up my C: drive with the FDPPCONF.SYS and AUTOFDPP.BAT files as well as the DOSEMU ones and that part's working, with lredir on D: to my Linux files. But no long file name support! I'm trying to figure out if this the result of COMCOM32 being used as the command processor not handling them.

Unless you know, this is another one I'll have to go digging for.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I think you may be right about comcom32 and LFNs. FreeDOS's command.com does support them but you have to use an additional switch DIR /LFN.
    Here's my /tmp drive mapped as G: and listed using FreeDOS's command.com placed on drive_c (which is then used in preference to comcom32)
    Code:
    DIR G: /LFN

<snip>

HSPER~P0             <DIR>  05-20-19 12:32a hsperfdata_root
    CLAWS~JD             <DIR>  05-20-19 12:33a claws-mail-500
    HSPER~0!             <DIR>  05-20-19 12:32a hsperfdata_jenkins
    JNA--~@J             <DIR>  05-20-19 12:33a jna--1712433994
    ICE-U~DD ___         <DIR>  05-20-19 12:32a .ICE-unix
    SYSTE~H8 SER         <DIR>  05-20-19 12:32a systemd-private-1468b2a9b97949
    X11-U~NP ___         <DIR>  05-20-19 12:32a .X11-unix
    TEST-~YT ___         <DIR>  05-20-19 12:32a .Test-unix
             3 file(s)      2,283,199 bytes
            19 dir(s)     70,320 Mega bytes free

Blog Entries

Thanks, I suspected that--I'll try the FreeDOS COMMAND.COM and see if things improve--it used to work on old DOSEMU, so I suspect that you're correct.

Blog Entries

Later...

There's something fishy going on here. Consider this little tidbit:
    Code:
    Welcome to dosemu2!
        Build 2.0pre8

C:\>cls

C:\>f:

F:\>dir
     Volume in drive f is RE COMCOM32
     Directory of f:\

2019-05-14 01:31        241152 COMCOM32.EXE
    2019-05-14 01:31        241152 COMMAND.COM
             2 file(s)         482304 bytes
             0 dir(s)               0 byte(s) free

F:\>fc /b comcom32.exe command.com
    fc: no differences encountered
    So the DOSEMU2 team is supplying comcom32, no matter which you pick.

Yes comcom32 is an exe file but I think DOS doesn't actually care when loading it. I'm a bit rusty on this, but I think many DOS programs didn't check the COMSPEC variable when trying to 'shell out' to a subshell, so Dosemu2 symlinks comcom32.exe as command.com so that those programs can continue to work. Since DOS doesn't support symlinks they appear as two identical files.
    Placing your real FreeDOS command.com in ~/.dosemu/drive_c/ will cause it to be found in preference to the one on drive F: which is in /usr/share/comcom32

Blog Entries

That seemed to do the trick. DIR/LFN works as it should with the old FreeCom 0.84 from 2006.

Getting there...

Chuck, how about vDOS or vDosPlus?

Seems like you'd still need WINE for those, but they're specifically designed for scalable fonts, clipboard integration, and other such things (despite being based on DOSBox), so one of them might do the trick.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Blog Entries

vDOS and vDOSPLUS are Windows-based. Linux here.

(FWIW, I do recommend vDOS to Win10 64-bit users who want to run old 16-bit DOS apps).

DOSEMU has built-in DPMI which is nice--and add Japheth's HXDOS suite and you can run stuff such as MASM 6.14, which uses NT's 32-bit (KERNEL32.DLL) support. HXDOS also has a GUI support mode, but that's not interesting to me.

One thing that's still got me, however, is DOSEMU's not supporting selective copying using a mouse in -t mode. I can use a "Select All" and copy the whole window, but not just a single line.