Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: Pleae vote for one DOS flavor and indicate if you use any of the three addons?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • MS-DOS 5.00

10 20.41%
  • MS-DOS 6.22

31 63.27%
  • MS-DOS 7.1 (CDU or from MSDOS7 folder)

8 16.33%
  • PC-DOS 2000 w/ 7.1 Kernel

3 6.12%
  • ROM-DOS

0 0%
  • DR-DOS

1 2.04%
  • FreeDOS

3 6.12%
  • I use 4DOS/NDOS as my command processor

4 8.16%
  • I use the LFN driver

2 4.08%
  • I use the DRFAT32 with a non FAT32 Kernel

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What DOS for your daily driver?

I have only one DOS machine, a Tandy 1000 EX with 256k and a single drive, which runs either the original 2.11 or the Tandy specific version of 3.2. It's really a stretch to call that machine a "daily driver", of course.

(The reason for 3.2 is it's compatible with a device driver that allows the machine to recognize and play nice with synthetic 255 track X 10 sector disk images on the upgraded Gotek, which sort of work as a really poor man's hard disk substitute. Tandy's 2.11 doesn't seem to have any issues naturally getting along with 720k-size disks at least, which kind of surprised me.)

Does anyone still run Compaq DOS 3.31 anymore? Its stupid pet trick of allowing larger-than-32MB partitions while not being DOS 4.0 sometimes came in handy.

I run 7 on my pure dos super socket 7 box, only because it lets me run fat32 with small clusters and 2 partitions. fat16/dos6 would have very huge wasteful cluster size with many partitions. I also run 4dos. gives me 632kb free base ram, with umb's...

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I generally install IBM PC DOS 2000 everywhere unless I have specific plans for a system. Why?
    • Y2K compliant (don't have to worry about dates showing up as "3-21-109"). Others are too, but this one is verified
    • Uses the least amount of low RAM since DOS 3.3 (there is a post somewhere on this forum that confirms it with numbers)
    • Comes with STACKER 4.0 which, if you need full-disk compression in DOS, is the best iteration overall of any such product
    • It's nice to run IBM-branded DOS on IBM systems (although I run it on non-IBM systems too)
    Now that is some good info.

I will have to give PC-DOS 2000 a second look. I have not had any issues with Y2K compliance on 6.22 or 7.1 and in fact I run a NET TIME command in autoexec so on every boot the computer clock is resynced. The lower memory usage would be nice. Although with QEMM I have DOS, 4DOS, NCACHE, a RAMDISK, MS CLient basic redirector, and a couple of other TSRs loaded and still have 614KB free so it may be a wash there.

I do like stacker and probably will install it on my T3200SX which only has a 40MB HDD. I also have the coprocessor board which would help in a low end machine like that. Although I thought the last version of Stacker was 4.1, no?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Anyone know what the plans are for FreeDOS? I saw they released 1.3RC1 but I could not find any updates as to what has been fixed/improved. Most of the "utilities" that come w/ FreeDOS also run on other DOS flavors so really the updates/functionality in kernel is most important. Also are the issues with WfW and 386 Enhanced mode ironed out or not?

FreeDOS as a concept is awesome. However, as a product it suffers like many of the community/free projects. Not the fault of the project but people got to eat too and if it is between working for free on an OS few will use/need vs. paid work the choice is easy.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Does anyone still run Compaq DOS 3.31 anymore? Its stupid pet trick of allowing larger-than-32MB partitions while not being DOS 4.0 sometimes came in handy.
    I discovered that late, but when I went to run it as a memory-saving measure, I found it takes up just about the same amount of RAM as DOS 4+ so I just stuck with either MS-DOS 6.22 or IBM PC DOS 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    I do like stacker and probably will install it on my T3200SX which only has a 40MB HDD. I also have the coprocessor board which would help in a low end machine like that. Although I thought the last version of Stacker was 4.1, no?
    Another Stacker hardware owner! That makes, what, two of us?

The Stacker hardware only works up to Stacker 3.0 IIRC. 4.x dropped support for it. I don't recall a Stacker 4.1, only 4.0, but I could be wrong. As for the hardware being a benefit to that system, it's about a wash -- the 386sx-16 can decompress about as fast as the Stacker AT/16 board (and faster than the XT/8 board). Since it takes up upper-memory-RAM and your 3200sx's precious slot, it probably isn't worth it. The other advantage of the board is getting the best compression ratios by default, but Stacker 4.0's offline recompress option, coupled with 4.0's more efficient slack space management, beats it. So I'd recommend not using the board in any 16MHz or faster system. (I plan on publishing performance numbers for stacker (with and without hardware), diskdoubler, superstor, expanz!, etc. at some point.)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Another Stacker hardware owner! That makes, what, two of us?
    Probably, considering I bought out the other two guys . I have two 16 bit cards (one NIB) around I am almost positive an 8 bit card. I also have an Expanz! and a dd2000 card as well. I wouldn't trust any data to either of them but hey...

The Stacker hardware only works up to Stacker 3.0 IIRC. 4.x dropped support for it. I don't recall a Stacker 4.1, only 4.0, but I could be wrong.
    No there was a 4.1 here is a review and vetusware also has a copy. 4.0 also had an update to allow it to work with QEMM 7.5 and up. The QEMM readme has more info on it. It is news to me on the drop for HW coprocessor support. I am almost positive when I last tested 4.0 it used the HW and fell back on SW if it was missing (I think though that was in all the versions).

As for the hardware being a benefit to that system, it's about a wash -- the 386sx-16 can decompress about as fast as the Stacker AT/16 board (and faster than the XT/8 board). Since it takes up upper-memory-RAM and your 3200sx's precious slot, it probably isn't worth it.
    The memory could be an issue but as for the slot I am also probably the only person with the 3200SX expansion module and box :P. Only problem is the module only gives you 8 bit expansion slot. I look forward to reading your comparison/review when it is ready!
    Last edited by Shadow Lord; May 13th, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

Any particular reason for the downgrades?
    I’ve just gotten to the point where I don’t like running 6.22 on such old machines. It just doesn’t feel “right” to me anymore if that makes sense. If I want to use 6.22, I’ll just use a newer machine.

There's a reason for that -- it had many bugs that were never fixed, including bugs that could corrupt data in rare circumstances. You should run literally anything other than 4.x (or 1.x).
    I don’t store anything on vintage machines that’s irreplaceable, so I’m not too worried about it

Compaq DOS 3.31 is absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite versions of DOS for sure.

Blog Entries

No there was a 4.1 here is a review and vetusware also has a copy. 4.0 also had an update to allow it to work with QEMM 7.5 and up. The QEMM readme has more info on it. It is news to me on the drop for HW coprocessor support. I am almost positive when I last tested 4.0 it used the HW and fell back on SW if it was missing (I think though that was in all the versions).
    The 4.1 may have been an update I missed. I'm positive 4.x doesn't have support for the boards; it's in some documentation somewhere, and the .SYS driver doesn't have the switches to pass it the memory area for the board.

I look forward to reading your comparison/review when it is ready!
    Check your PMs
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The 4.1 may have been an update I missed.
    Here it is...

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...837#post427837

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...573#post552573
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Stone,

Great info except we are talking about Stacker 4.1 not PC-DOS 4.01