Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are LFN and Big Drive Support Possible in DOS for mapped network drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The redirector interface provides connectivity to remote shares, and was only built to return 2G free as a maximum. If there is more than 2G free, it will be capped at 2G. The fact that a DIR to a local drive shows something else is irrelevant -- it's the redirector doing the capping (by design), not the DIR command itself.
    Ok. Thanks for the confirmation! So I guess the next question would be are there any redirectors out there that are not limited/have issues or more up to date that will run under real mode DOS? Commercial or otherwise? TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

There are none that do what you're asking that connect to the shares you're exporting.

My question to you: Why is it important that the correct amount of free space be returned? The 2G limit is a good thing, for compatibility with existing software. Even if you could get more than 2G out of a DIR command, you wouldn't want that oversized value passed to actual programs.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

If you really need to see the real free space over the network, you could periodically create a file like FREESPAC.TXT or somesuch somewhere on the server and then just read that file.

Just because it reports 2GB free will not limit the amount you can read or write to the file share. For example, if you have 10GB free on a server drive, you can create 8GB worth of files and it will still report 2GB free. Once free space drops below 2GB you will start seeing the real free space value.

Anyway, where LFNs and other data comes from is sort of a tangled web. DOS programs that support LFNs are meant to do that only running inside Windows 9x's VDM. A few neat little third party TSRs can provide that functionality in a real-mode DOS environment, but I'm fairly sure they read directly from the FAT32 partition to get that data. So redirected devices will not get that functionality. Furthermore, I might be mistaken but if I recall correctly, SMB file servers check the client version as they connect to see if it is DOS/Lan Manager/Windows For Workgroups/NT/Windows 9x and then communicate based on that. Which means the server does not even SEND long file names to DOS/WFWG clients (and possibly not full free space info either).

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    There are none that do what you're asking that connect to the shares you're exporting.

My question to you: Why is it important that the correct amount of free space be returned? The 2G limit is a good thing, for compatibility with existing software. Even if you could get more than 2G out of a DIR command, you wouldn't want that oversized value passed to actual programs.

It isn't. Like I said in an earlier post this a cosmetic issue as is the LFNs. However, a newer redirector/client would presumably do more than fix cosmetic issues. For example you have to dial security way down to allow MS Client 3.0 to connect to WS2K8 shares. A newer client or one in active development might allow for easier connection to modern systems.

Again is this a deal breaker? Of course not as I have dialed back security and I am not too worried. However, just because I can make it work doesn't mean I shouldn't use a better solution if one is available.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If you really need to see the real free space over the network, you could periodically create a file like FREESPAC.TXT or somesuch somewhere on the server and then just read that file.
    Please see my reply to Trixter above.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Anyway, where LFNs and other data comes from is sort of a tangled web. DOS programs that support LFNs are meant to do that only running inside Windows 9x's VDM. A few neat little third party TSRs can provide that functionality in a real-mode DOS environment, but I'm fairly sure they read directly from the FAT32 partition to get that data. So redirected devices will not get that functionality. Furthermore, I might be mistaken but if I recall correctly, SMB file servers check the client version as they connect to see if it is DOS/Lan Manager/Windows For Workgroups/NT/Windows 9x and then communicate based on that. Which means the server does not even SEND long file names to DOS/WFWG clients (and possibly not full free space info either).
    Thanks for the info. That last bit is real interesting. Too bad MS Never updated the client like they said they would.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    For example you have to dial security way down to allow MS Client 3.0 to connect to WS2K8 shares. A newer client or one in active development might allow for easier connection to modern systems.
    Assuming the target is 8086-80386 systems, you don't actually want that. The encryption/decryption required would absolutely cripple a slow CPU.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I actually spent a long time on this a while back, getting my PS/1 working on the network, mapped to shares. As Someguy mentioned earlier, LFN over samba shares to DOS don't work. If I recall, all those LFN tools are specifically for local LFN's, such as CD Roms and possibly other local drives. I only mapped to a QNAP Linux NAS, never tried mapped windows drives though. I also never explored trying to read free space since my goal was only to essentially access folders to use software over the network (so saves were cross platform and backed up without dealing with scripts to do that). I tested with Dos 6.22 and 7. I sorta tested with Freedos but had other problems with freedos that i didn't bother doing any real testing with it.

I did need to set Lanman auth to 'yes' in Samba settings as well as manually set the password for the account (via the smbpasswd command) in the console, setting it in the NAS password area in the GUI wouldnt save the Lanman encypted version properly on my NAS. It's possible you might need to disable ntvlm2 authentication but i didn't need to. Obviously enabling Lanman auth lowers your nas security, but for a home, that shouldn't matter ( unless your the person here who puts their pcs in the DMZ... haha).
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).