Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 4 Font

Default Model 4 Font

Does anybody know why the letters "w" and "m" are truncated on this Model 4? See attached screen shot eg. "View Formatted Buffers?"

I have tried replacing the following from a known working Model 4 without any luck:
    -Video board and CRT
    -All removable chips, large single piece motherboard

IMG_7512.jpg

Could it be a defective character generator chip (just a wild guess) .... contact Ian -- he may have a better answer

I don't have a schematic handy, but looking at your screen shot... If i'm counting right, it appears that the character generator only outputs a 7th character column of dots (counting left to right) on the lower case w and m characters (in your screen shot--but other characters may be affected, like graphic characters). That's your clue, I think. Like Jay suggested, the problem could be right around the character generator... data line, buffer... something like that... might be the character generator.

If you don't have a scope, an inexpensive logic probe will help you see activity on data and address lines. you can probably build one for less than a cup of coffee at your favorite emporium. Amazon has them, even! I kept one of the RS versions in my tool kit for years. Fast when I didn't want to drag out a scope and just needed to see activity through buffers/inverters and like that. So, active data on one side of a buffer but zero activity on the output: bad buffer, or a component shorted to ground just after perhaps... A simplification, but you get the idea.

The good thing about video problems is that you can actually see the issue.

@shank Graphics characters are affected as well, the right most pixels are missing probably, like you said.

The problem is with the column section for the dots. The character is printed by a Row & Column Matrix.
    Here is a Photo of the two characters m & w showing R0 thru R7 and C0 thru C4.

mn.jpg

I've blown up the photo 150% ans it's still not large enough.

Larry

I was going to guess the problem was in the line from pin 17 of U19 (the font ROM) to pin 33 of U17 ("Vidarray", the video support gate-array chip).

But if you're getting the same missing-column-7 behavior in graphics characters, then that sounds like a problem in the Vidarray. The Vidarray generates the graphics characters internally, and sends all 8 columns of them out the same pin (pin 19), so I don't see how the fault can be in the lines external to the chip. Are you sure you're seeing this behavior with a chip in U17 that works fine in another system?

(We are talking about a gate-array motherboard, right? With a big socketed 40-pin DIP at U17?)

Can you post a pic showing what happens with graphics characters, and with reverse video?
    -Alan

Btw, here's a picture of the font in the standard Model 4 character generator (part 8049007). You can see column 7 is pretty sparsely used, and appears in only 4 ASCII characters (_ m w ~). Leaving a blank column on the left AND the right in most characters avoids illegibility in the first or last character of a section of text in reverse-video.
    -Alan

Chip U17 I haven't replaced because it's a soldered chip. Ahh maybe there's a patched wire on that chip that's loose or broken off so this is helpful. I'll check around U17. Attaching photo showing the graphics characters.

IMG_7518.jpg

Is U23 a socketed 24-pin chip on your motherboard?
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

U23 is socketed. I can try replacing it again--I have two other U23 chips available.

Attaching photos of motherboard.

IMG_7520.jpg
    IMG_7521.jpg