Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best performing storage option for a 286 Machine

20190515_121039.jpg

I was able to squeeze a little more performance out of the Atlas 10KII by adjusting the the jumpers on the AHA-1542B. There are settings for 5.0, 5.7, 6.7 and 8.0MB/s. Default is 5.0MB/s. Posted results are with the card set to 6.7MB/s, I tried 8.0 but it was actually corrupting the file system with that setting, I had to delete the partition and start over.

Question for those familiar with the XT-IDE boot ROM:

Right now this old Adaptec BIOS will not allow more than 2 HDD total in the system. I.e. if you configure Drive C in the system CMOS Setup it will initialize one SCSI drive as D. If you configure Drive C and D in the system CMOS Setup it will print a message saying Drive C and D already installed and do nothing.

If I were to set the system CMOS to no hard drives, and use the XTIDE ROM instead, would I be able to have the Adaptec configure C and D as SCSI drives and then have the XTIDE ROM configure an IDE drive as drive E, as long as it loaded after the boot ROM on the SCSI controller?

Blog Entries

You could also use the Adaptec ASPI driver and the device specific (ASPIDISK.SYS) driver to get access to as many SCSI drives as you'd like after boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You could also use the Adaptec ASPI driver and the device specific (ASPIDISK.SYS) driver to get access to as many SCSI drives as you'd like after boot.
    https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=757432#p757432

Blog Entries

Well, I don't have the -B version; just the -nothing (very old) and the -C most common. I can't say much about the -B. In theory, there shouldn't be an issue--I've had up to 7 drives on a single (PCI) controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, I don't have the -B version; just the -nothing (very old) and the -C most common. I can't say much about the -B. In theory, there shouldn't be an issue--I've had up to 7 drives on a single (PCI) controller.
    Yeah definitely, I've also used more modern SCSI controllers with fistfulls of drives.

I think either the Adaptec aspi driver just either doesn't work right with this card, a 286, PC dos, or some combination of the three. Because l couldn't even get it to work right with a single drive

So does the XTIDE ROM play nice with other disk ROMs and 3+ drives?

Blog Entries

To be honest SCSI cards , even the old 8 ISA bit ones, are some of the less problematic vintage storage options around. There are other brands besides Adaptec but the Adaptec seem to be the most universally compatible ones.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I'm leaning heavily towards picking up a first generation Barracuda SCSI drive for this system and just using IDE for the CDROM only. Looks like I'm going to have to burn new BIOS and microcode chips for the controller if I want to access the full capacity though

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Yeah definitely, I've also used more modern SCSI controllers with fistfulls of drives.

I think either the Adaptec aspi driver just either doesn't work right with this card, a 286, PC dos, or some combination of the three. Because l couldn't even get it to work right with a single drive
    Out of curiosity, I hooked up the Conner 320MB SCSI drive and tried the ASPI driver. It works perfectly with ASPI4DOS.SYS loaded and the BIOS enabled, as well as with ASPI4DOS+ASPIDISK.SYS loaded and the BIOS disabled. The problems I was having with the Atlas 10KII must be related to capacity and/or different translations being used by the ASPI driver vs. the BIOS.