Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgot to take out battery first while working on laptop. Am I ok?

I was using PCI cards as an example. I didn't know they have hot plug capability. But in general it's necessary to unplug your computer first before you work inside it with the circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I was using PCI cards as an example. I didn't know they have hot plug capability. But in general it's necessary to unplug your computer first before you work inside it with the circuitry.
    For old machines, just turning the power off is enough. A plugged in machine is more dangerous to you than the machine. Old PCs have there power supply completely wrapped in steel. You might still stick a screw driver in there but other than that, I see no issue.
    Unplugged, it is possible for a static charge to build on the computer if it were insulated. You might then cause some ESD. With it plugged in and grounded, there is the possibility that you might have a static charge and damage the machine.
    Of course, I know you always follow the rule of putting your hand on the machines chassis before installing or removing part ( don't you? ).
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Coulda fooled me--I thought that one of the benefits of PCI was hot plug capabiity. Not that it always works, but in theory, it's supposed not to damage anything.
    PCI Hotplug is required to be implemented at a hardware and firmware level, something which only servers regularly did. Commodity desktop gear hardly ever had PCI Hotswap support, and I've had more than a few machines where plugging/unplugging PCI devices while the motherboard was off, but had standby power would suddenly turn on and start trying to POST.

Blog Entries

Sure, but going to the original thread topic (i.e. removing batteries), the subject was broached as such:

Quote Originally Posted by "Post #8
    I don't know why you don't understand me. Here's an example: You shouldn't add or remove PCI cards from your desktop computer when it's still plugged into the wall. You could damage your system. Same goes for a laptop: The battery still holds a charge when the laptop is turned off. You need to remove it first before you tinker.
    My point was that adding or removing PCI cards while power is on is unlikely to let any magic smoke out.