Image Map Image Map

Thread: Recommend me a good inexpensive VHS camcorder please

Default Recommend me a good inexpensive VHS camcorder please

I want to get into the hobby of making my own home videos just like in the old days and reuse old tapes lying around after digitizing them. What good brands and models do you guys like best?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I want to get into the hobby of making my own home videos just like in the old days and reuse old tapes lying around after digitizing them. What good brands and models do you guys like best?

Thanks!
    Anything made by RCA or made for RCA prior to 1988... Super cheap on eBay right now.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

I picked up a camcorder built with a newvicon tube because I wanted that classic "light smeary" effect. I then found that, without a functional battery and needing to be tethered to a wall socket, it was a lot less fun than I thought it would be.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I picked up a camcorder built with a newvicon tube because I wanted that classic "light smeary" effect. I then found that, without a functional battery and needing to be tethered to a wall socket, it was a lot less fun than I thought it would be.
    Haha, good point about the battery. Considering almost every cellphone camera app comes with 'crappy vintage mode' (well, whatever the hipster name for it is), you can pretty much get that lousy look without having to use old equipment. Maybe you could just mount a cellphone to the viewfinder of an old camcorder to get the arm exercise you're looking for.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Considering almost every cellphone camera app comes with 'crappy vintage mode' (well, whatever the hipster name for it is)
    Yeah, but they all suck and produce stuff that wouldn't actually pass for "shot in the 70's/80's".
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

The Sony ones from the 90s are the best value these days, I think. VHS-C models seem to be the most common though and I don't know what the availability of those tapes is.

Blog Entries

The problem I've had with VHS-C and Video8/Hi-8 is that the cameras ALL use miniature radials or SMD lytics and as with everything else from that timeframe, they are leaking and camcorders are a P A I N to open, repair and reassemble. The professional ones are no better. My S-VHS JVC GY-X2 has over 100 SMD's that need to be replaced.

If you wish to go the tube camera route I've fallen in love with just about any brand color camera that used an EIAJ-10 connector as you gave them a regulated 12vDC and they will give you back at least one channel of line level audio and standard composite video. If you want to go the REALLY exotic route, find one of Sony's Trinicon cameras and either the video adapter for their nonstandard K-connector or a portable betamax VCR and kick it oldschool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5xVLnz_SaY

= Excellent space heater