Image Map Image Map

Thread: Change owner name on Compaq Portable III?

Default Change owner name on Compaq Portable III?

We have a working Compaq Portable III we'd like to resell, but it displays the previous owner's name and phone number on the main menu.

I assume the diagnostic disks have the tool to change that, but we don't have a functioning 360kb drive to create the disk.

Is there a way to change the menu header from within DOS?

It's running Compaq Personal Computer DOS Version 3.31

Thank you.

FWIW, I don't believe those diagnostic disks have the ability to edit what you have described. That would most likely be a feature of the menu program.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Exactly what menu program is it? If it is something that did not come from Compaq, then you might just change it to start to command.com and call it a day.

I had thought the menu was proprietary, but upon further investigation it's just 3DMenu.

There are also a lot of documents on the hard drive, I believe it would be less time-consuming to simply reformat with a copy of Compaq's PC-DOS 3.31, but I don't see any images for their installer on 1.2MB 5.25" disks.

Does anyone have an image I can use?

Blog Entries

There's a 1.2MB image over at https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/331 but it's OEM Emerson -- probably not what you want if you're trying to keep the machine stock. The solution in this case is to make the proper 3.5" image, boot it on a system that has 3.5" as drive A: and 5.25" as drive B:, then format the 1.2MB floppy using FORMAT B: /S so that the system gets transferred over, then copy the rest of the DOS files over normally. That will make a disk you can boot and install from.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by SBK View Post
    There are also a lot of documents on the hard drive, I believe it would be less time-consuming to simply reformat with a copy of Compaq's PC-DOS 3.31...
    Seems like time has already shown that is not the case.

Just delete the files and move on.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

You could probably use the 720k 3.5" disk images and use WinImage to resize them to 1.2mb.