Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VT100 demo animation ideas

Blog Entries

I'm sure, many moons ago, I saw the Star Wars animation playing just fine at 38400, which allows for two full-screen repaints per second. The delay numbers could certainly be scaled.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I imagine baud-rate concerns are one of the reasons the animation is only 68x13 (cinematic aspect ratio being another.) That's still 884 characters per frame, though.

Definitely gonna take a stab at converting this to a more vintage-friendly transfer format.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Simplest way to convert it might be to write a curses application that writes each frame into the window and then calls refresh.

Curses already has logic to determine the minimum amount of work needed to refresh the screen from the updated internal data structure.

Write the curses program to play back the uncompressed movie and just record the ESC sequences emitted by curses.

That's simple, for sure, although IIRC curses re-paints on a per-line basis, so you could still probably compress it further if you wanted.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I did some hacking on my demo animation this weekend. It's coming along nicely. It's more of a demoscene kind of animation than it is like the Star Wars animation.

Work is continuing on this demo. I'll release it for public consumption after VCFMW, but I don't want to steal thunder from the show .

I've decided that the "demo" will not only showcase features of the VT100 and some "programmer art", but will also tell the story of the VT100 with heavy emphasis on internal design details.