Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: have a bizarre issue on my T3200SX display

Blog Entries

Default have a bizarre issue on my T3200SX display

Hello, some days ago i got a T3200SX is in very nice shape and the previous owner seem to have restored it because the bios is swap for a custom one have a 20GB one.
    He installed also a sound blaster 16 pnp and have dos running, the system have 9 megs of ram.
    The display is a plasma orange one, seem to have no bad lines but there's an issue i never seen before in other computer monitors.

Will try to explain it.

The computer display fine but for example if i run a bright program that uses the full display, the screen will show up ok but slowly in a few seconds the contrast will lower and all intermediate amber tones between black and a darkamber tone will fade. Leaving only a single darkamber and total black. For example in dos EDIT program all highlighted text options in the menus will disappear and only i get the black part of the text and the orange background.

If then i exit the program and go back to the dos prompt then run another program the issue will show up in the same manner will start fine and fade in a few seconds to this.

Maybe someone experienced on this model may know what this could be?.

Blog Entries

It sounds like there's a voltage problem driving the display. Some capacitors might be going bad and should be replaced.

Be very careful with that plasma display -- there is no way to repair them.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    It sounds like there's a voltage problem driving the display. Some capacitors might be going bad and should be replaced.

Be very careful with that plasma display -- there is no way to repair them.
    What he said. Mine has the same issue. For some reason edit seems to be a big culprit. You have a few options:

1. Try and fix the controller
    2. Replace the controller
    3. Set the video to mono mode in BIOS. You lose access to that portion of memory for moving programs to (using a meme manager) but the programs like edit behave better
    4. Use mode.com (e.g. MODE BW80) - although I have found this not to work very well
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Going to try the controller cap replacement have to take a look at the service manual to see what part is

Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    Going to try the controller cap replacement have to take a look at the service manual to see what part is
    Well, let us know how it goes and if it resolves your issue! It seems to be pretty common on these machines.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

OK i have dissasembled the whole thing and got the display hooked to the psu the HV leads coming from the screen show 170v DC and according to the service manual this never should be lower than 200v so theres something wrong on the psu for sure.
    The other low voltages 5v 12v -12v -5v are ok.
    Now it's a shame the service manual only talk about replacing the psu and never about how to fix it, the psu also have several adjustment pots on it.
    At least from a visual inspection none of the caps seem to be in bad shape i suppose i will raplace all of them.

Interesting. Where are you measuring this? Out of the psu directly or after the controller board?

Blog Entries

directly from the psu, measured it having the display connected and not the result is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    directly from the psu, measured it having the display connected and not the result is the same.
    Well that is good news. PSUs are easier to repair then most other stuff. Out of curiosity does your brightness wheel work well i.e. do you get a large range of dark to brightness?

Blog Entries

I can't help, but I think the failure of the plasma power supply may be somewhat common.
    I had a T3200SX with a dead display, I ended up parting it out because another forum member had one which wouldn't start - so I sent him my PSU - fixed this machine but then his screen didn't work.

Will be keen to find out if you find the fault.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch