Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: have a bizarre issue on my T3200SX display

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    I can't help, but I think the failure of the plasma power supply may be somewhat common.
    I had a T3200SX with a dead display, I ended up parting it out because another forum member had one which wouldn't start - so I sent him my PSU - fixed this machine but then his screen didn't work.

Will be keen to find out if you find the fault.
    SpidersWeb,

Did yoursome have any extra ram? If so do you still have it? I have been looking for 4MB (2 x 2MB) stocks to max mine out. Thanks.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

leaky leaky, watch under your caps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Well that is good news. PSUs are easier to repair then most other stuff. Out of curiosity does your brightness wheel work well i.e. do you get a large range of dark to brightness?
    Yes the brightness wheel have a good range, but the brightness never was very high never seen one of this in the past so initially i was like "the display is old and used, or this things never have to much brightness on the start" but now seeing the low HV is on the PSU everything seems to point to the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    Yes the brightness wheel have a good range, but the brightness never was very high never seen one of this in the past so initially i was like "the display is old and used, or this things never have to much brightness on the start" but now seeing the low HV is on the PSU everything seems to point to the same issue.
    My problem is the other way around. Brightness is pretty good but it really does not get very dim (I will post some pictures later). I have a few of these machines around that I have scavenged parts from to make one great one sans the display issues) and even on the one with the "best" screen the range is still seems limited. I am wondering if this is by design or of the pots is dirty. Unfortunately to get to it is not easy and requires a very complete disassembly.

Was that the only cap that was leaking? It would be interesting to see if a simple cap replacement will fix he issue.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Sometimes, the front (or rear or side) panel brightness control is just a vernier (i.e. secondary) control, with the main setting on the monitor PCB. The general idea is to give a reasonable user-adjustable range without allowing the user to be stupid.

Blog Entries

ok have replaced all the caps on my psu (i let the big ones in the input they are ok) but the bottom of the psu was soaking wet in electrolyte, I'm not sure how the psu can keep working like this.

But the problem is not fix now i have nice 205v DC on my HV lines to the display but the when i power up the computer everything is bright and dandy good contrast but after a few seconds the problem will show up again.

After having my multimeter connected to the display i can see that the voltage never drops now from the 205v so this is fix but was not the issue.

Using the computer if i disconnect the hv line that power the plasma screen, having the laptop turn on and reconnect i will got some seconds of nice brightness and contrast but then it will lower and the issue show up.

I'm sure that the problem is located on the plasma screen controller board, will try the shotgun approach and start replacing stuff on it to check if i can find the culprit.

Blog Entries

The controller board is quite large and does have caps on it. It was a long time ago I opened mine, but I remember being surprised (although probably shouldn't have been).

ShadowLord - no spare RAM sorry, they always turn up here with base configurations only, so the two sticks in that T3200SX are my only spares / add-ons.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    ShadowLord - no spare RAM sorry, they always turn up here with base configurations only, so the two sticks in that T3200SX are my only spares / add-ons.
    Sorry, not following you: I thought you were parting out your system. But are you now saying you are keeping the ram incase you get another T3200SX?

Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    I'm sure that the problem is located on the plasma screen controller board, will try the shotgun approach and start replacing stuff on it to check if i can find the culprit.
    Well again if it is just caps easy fix but if it is more complicated then who knows... Did these plasma screens have a failure rate in the screen itself?

Blog Entries

Ok, fully recapped the controller board on the plasma display i was unable to source locally axial capacitors so i used normal ones.

Now good news at least for me this fixed the issue straight away, now the display works perfectly.
    So if anyone have this issue just a simple recap could get the damn thing working again, also if you already don't have done it recapping the PSU is a must it was also in terrible shape.