Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ps2 keyboard not working on bios

Hopefully it's not another case of stuffing a USB card into a VESA local bus connector.

Blog Entries

Yeah. Older systems like that never had mouse support for the bios.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I just wrote up a post but I don't think it'll go through because I just had some internet issues :c

So to sum it up: I was wrong, it looks like it was closer to 97/98 not 92.
    Not sure where I got that date from. Maybe one of the components?
    I googled the board and found out it's an AMPTRON PM-8600.
    The usb card I mentioned isn't really relevent to the conversation, but it's a NEC japan 5 port pci card. Can't do anything with it anyways until I can get an OS and drivers for it installed.

I had done exactly what one of you had described: cut away part of the case (and very crudely at that due to lack of proper tools) to get at what I thought was a ps/2 port capable of keyboard, but in actuality is starting to sound like a mouse exclusive mini din port (oops). Kind of wish I would have just left the case alone now.

Here are some pic's, but i'm not sure they'll be all that helpful compared to just telling you the board model.
    https://imgur.com/a/qFyIsN2

It sounds like my best bet is to get a ps/2 keyboard to din adapter or get a new din keyboard (assuming it's just the din keyboard that's faulty).
    If anyone has any other tips, suggestions or questions however i'm all ears.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Hopefully it's not another case of stuffing a USB card into a VESA local bus connector.
    As far as I can tell, the Express 425SX had a few ISA slots. Too early for PCI. Maybe I should see if it's physically possible to stuff a PCI card into an ISA connector...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Curiously, I have a case that supports the extra (mini DIN) mouse jack. It's a generic Taiwanese minitower, but obviously, more than just Amptron used the scheme.

Amptron 8600 boards weren't the best of the best, but neither were they the worst. I still use one occasionally when I'm running down-level software like Windows NT4. Works just fine.

But yes, I pulled out the 8600 box and tried to use a mini-DIN PS/2 keyboard on the mouse port. No soap. Works fine with a mini-to-standard DIN adapter in the keyboard port, however. Like this

The Amptron board in question:

You can see that it's an odd bird. Two types of DIMM sockets; it does support USB, but you need the cables to hook things up. I think mine is running an IBM 686MX CPU.
    wow, this is literally the exact board i'm talking about; same revision and everything.

I ordered a ps/2 to din keyboard adapter that will arrive on Sunday.
    Fingers crossed that it fixes my problems.