Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ps2 keyboard not working on bios

Blog Entries

Curiously, I have a case that supports the extra (mini DIN) mouse jack. It's a generic Taiwanese minitower, but obviously, more than just Amptron used the scheme.

Amptron 8600 boards weren't the best of the best, but neither were they the worst. I still use one occasionally when I'm running down-level software like Windows NT4. Works just fine.

But yes, I pulled out the 8600 box and tried to use a mini-DIN PS/2 keyboard on the mouse port. No soap. Works fine with a mini-to-standard DIN adapter in the keyboard port, however. Like this

The Amptron board in question:

You can see that it's an odd bird. Two types of DIMM sockets; it does support USB, but you need the cables to hook things up. I think mine is running an IBM 686MX CPU.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); May 17th, 2019 at 12:20 PM.

That looks really familiar, down to having both DIMM and SIMM sockets. (And actually I'm realizing that I'm confounding my memory of this board with another oddball board I owned later; so far as I remember the IDE ports on this board were fine, I used it as a Linux server for quite a long time after its stint as a desktop machine.) Mine also had an IBM/Cyrix 686 in it, the non-MMX 6x86L version.

(I think the chipset on mine was labeled "TXpro", not "VXtwo"? That's just how PCChips rolled.)

Had it in this incredibly flimsy sheet metal tower case. It was so cheap that the expedient way I made room for the mouse port involved grabbing the rim of the keyboard port with needle-nose vice grips and simply peeling the right direction.

Blog Entries

RedHill didn't think much of them, but YMMV--I've got two of the things and they're decent for the time. You're not going to burn down any barns, however.

Also, they came in several revisions. Mine are the C and D revs.

I remember mine actually benchmarked pretty well for what it was with DIMM RAM installed in it instead of SIMMs? (No idea if that actually made any difference. Being a Cyrix chip is was utterly hopeless in the FPU department, though. It may have been slower than the AMD-K5 90 it replaced.) I also don't recall any reliability issues with it but I don't imagine a 133mhz 6x86L stressed it particularly hard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You can see that it's an odd bird. Two types of DIMM sockets; it does support USB, but you need the cables to hook things up. I think mine is running an IBM 686MX CPU.
    I'd definitely never run across such a odd chimera of a board before -- thanks for the picture! The only thing I've got that comes close is a Compaq 486/66 with both ISA and PCI slots (which don't seem to work with PCI video cards, so I'm not sure what the point of them were). I call it "odd" because all my PCI-slot systems are Pentiums and higher.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

I've got P3 chimera of sorts- a Compaq Deskpro ENP tower. video and NIC are on dedicated slots on the motherboard, with other PCI and ISA slots on a slide-out shelf. 440BX chipset. Heavy bugger, but it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ... You can see that it's an odd bird. Two types of DIMM sockets...
    Two types of memory sockets, yes. But one type is DIMM and the other is SIMM.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Picky, picky. Yes, you're correct. It's pretty touchy about what kind of DIMMs, too. I'm using some older 64MB parts, but it doesn't appear to like anything bigger.

On that Deskpro ENP, I had to look for awhile for a sample image; there are a lot of ENs around, but apparently not too many ENPs. I'm running a 1.3GHz Celeron in a slocket; Photos of one in Ireland

The oddball board I was confusing with this one was another example of a chimera. I think it was from FIC, no idea of the model number unfortunately.

That board (with the cruddy IDE ports) was designed to fit (badly) into either an ATX or AT case. It was an extremely compact "half baby AT" size, had an AT keyboard plug and both AT and ATX power connectors, standoff holes that could be made to line up with either kind of case, and came with a bunch of dongles for serial/parallel/ps2 mouse/USB that could either be mounted in slot cover plates or screwed into a filler plate for the ATX port area. Had an AGP port and either a relabeled or ripped-off XXX Via chipset and fewer slots than normal because of the constraints of both its weird dual mounting holes and the position of the CPU cooler.

I bought that board and a 500mhz K6-2 on a whim in late 2000 to fit into the very sturdy case of a 386-40 computer I found next to the apartment complex dumpster; used to have this thing for creating "sleeper" upgrades to old PCs. Said case had a lot of knockouts in it for 9 and 25 pin dongles so it fit together pretty well, although I think did have to hacksaw a notch out of a drive bay to clear room around... something?

(Edit: Poking around I think it was a FIC VA-503A?)
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; May 17th, 2019 at 02:15 PM.

Blog Entries

USB PCI on a '92 486 doesn't make sense.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."