Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 4869 external 5.25 external floppy disk drivr

1. Default IBM 4869 external 5.25 external floppy disk drivr

I have an old IBM 4869 external 5.25 floppy disk drive with a round cable connected to a male dc37 connector that I would like to connect to a db25 female to male parallel port cable to run to my computer but do do this if it is even possible I need the pin outs for the dc-37 connector and the db-25 connector. Can any one help?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffithjr001 View Post
    I have an old IBM 4869 external 5.25 floppy disk drive with a round cable connected to a male dc37 connector that I would like to connect to a db25 female to male parallel port cable to run to my computer but do do this if it is even possible I need the pin outs for the dc-37 connector and the db-25 connector. Can any one help?

This is not possible AFAIK. What kind of computer is it? You can always get a floppy controller with an external port (e.g. the original IBM PC FDC, CC I, or CC IV) and use that port. Note that IBM made a few different versions of the 4869. Some got their power out of the DB37, others had auxiliary power connectors.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

But basically, bottom line, the 4869 is a legacy floppy-interface device. It's a box with a power supply, space for a drive and a cable. No magic.

See my blog posts about tweaking the cable to get it to work with third-party floppy controllers, such as the CompatiCard IV.