Image Map Image Map

Thread: [Wanted] PS/2 Mod. 80 Floppy Drive and IBM Caddy CD-ROM Repair

Default [Wanted] PS/2 Mod. 80 Floppy Drive and IBM Caddy CD-ROM Repair

So I have a Model 80 with a dead battery and a pile of floppy drives for it, stop me if you've heard this one before All of them have bad capacitors at the least, as they all attempt to read disks and fail, as I get that same familiar failure message in DOS that prompts you to "Retry, Ignore or Fail". I also have a PS/2 caddy-loading CD-ROM drive which is detected in the setup utility, by DOS and gets assigned a drive letter, loads and ejects discs fine, but won't read discs and gives the same typical failure message as the floppy drive.

Ideally I'd like to have the floppy (just one, not all of them. I have a Sony MP-F77W that would make a great repair candidate) and the CD drive back in working order. Is there anyone on here that's good at working with and replacing surface mount components? I tried a couple of times on the two Mitsubishi drives I had and both times I damaged the solder pads.

Which type of floppy drive do you have? The IDE looking connector or the edge connector? I have a spare drive with and edge connector on it. Untested but looks new

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Which type of floppy drive do you have? The IDE looking connector or the edge connector? I have a spare drive with and edge connector on it. Untested but looks new
    Mine uses the drives with card edge connectors. If it isn't tested though I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work. I had bought two NOS drives and even they don't function. These drives are notorious for having bad capacitors.

I'm willing to replace the caps, though I don't have a PS/2 and can't do general component level repair, just cap swaps.

Blog Entries

Did you test the CDROM drive with a pressed CD and not a CDR or CDRW?

I fixed a few IBM PS/2 floppy drives and some of the capacitors are not common values so I just used non SMT ones I could find and made sure they fit.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    I'm willing to replace the caps, though I don't have a PS/2 and can't do general component level repair, just cap swaps.
    That's perfectly okay. I'm certain it's just bad caps as aside from being unable to read disks, that drive works fine mechanics wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Did you test the CDROM drive with a pressed CD and not a CDR or CDRW?

I fixed a few IBM PS/2 floppy drives and some of the capacitors are not common values so I just used non SMT ones I could find and made sure they fit.
    I just tried to read a CD-R I had burned. Do these drives have issues reading R and RW discs?

Blog Entries

CD-R some of them wont read, CDRW none will work. Try a pressed silver CD.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

PS/2s do not like the "live" CDs [like USB drives]. H8te.The CD must be finalized.