Image Map Image Map

Thread: Video corruption on XDC Player/8088 domination

Default Video corruption on XDC Player/8088 domination

Ok, I might just be having a brain fart, but does anyone know what is causing this?

When trying to run XDC Player or 8088 domination, the program runs but the screen fills with garbage at various points. Tried this on several different systems. The only constant so far seems to be my new XT-IDE card and that I am not using a sound card (running in "quiet mode"). The systems and CGA cards test out more or less OK otherwise.

xdcplayerproblem.jpg

Ok, so playing the original videos from 8088domination with the /q switch, even with the latest XDC_PLAY will result in garbage.

But playing later re-encoded XDV videos works fine, even on the original player.

Blog Entries

The player just loads from disk and then runs the code it loaded (each frame is actually a tiny program that repaints the screen). Since there's no bug in the code , Occam's razor says that your XT-IDE is occasionally reading garbage. (Or, if the corruption is in the same place every time, the file wasn't copied correctly.)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Hello, where to get more XDV files?

And how to run on M24/6300? When I run it (with /q) no picture...

Blog Entries

http://x86dc.wordpress.com has a few more, with very convoluted instructions on creating your own.

I never tested on M24, but I'm not doing anything crazy setting the video mode:

Code:
    begin
      case b of
        1:asm
          mov ax,0006
          int 10h
          {turn on colorburst}
          mov dx,m6845_mode_ctl
          mov al,c_videosignal_enable+c_graphics_enable+c_640x200_enable
          out dx,al
        end;
        2:asm
          mov ax,0006
          int 10h
        end;
        3:asm
          mov ax,0008
          int 10h
        end;
    ...etc.

Only the B&W files would look correct on M24 anyway; the majority of them were created for CGA composite output.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

It has nothing to do with the XT-IDE. I tried it on a bunch more hardware. It does this on anything.

Playing the following videos from the original 8088dom using any XDC_PLAY with the /q switch will display garbage:

Ot.xdv
    Leader.xdv
    Dom.xdv
    Bafull.xdv

They play fine without the /q switch, but of course a sound blaster must be present.

All later files seem to play fine with or without the /q switch. A few tested:
    badapple.xdv
    Bbbbcomp.xdv
    Bbbb_bw.xdv
    Moveyour.xdv
    Bbb_low.xdv
    Bigbuckb.xdv
    thunderc.xdv
    trondisc.xdv (In the US that should be spelled DISK :P )

So, in other words it was a problem with the early video encoding.

I do wish there were more black and white animations. Bad Apple looks great on green/amber/white screens, on RGB, less compatible CGA composite, and even EGA or VGA.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I missed the fact you were trying to play the demo's files with the current player. That is Officially Unsupported(tm). But all of the animations on the website play fine.

trondisc.xdv (In the US that should be spelled DISK :P )
    I used the movie's spelling!

I do wish there were more black and white animations.
    I take requests. One per customer.
    Offering a bounty for: