Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: IBM 5160 XT Bios Roms

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    20

    Question IBM 5160 XT Bios Roms

    Hi everyone.

    I finally got my 5160 all fixed up minus one thing -
    The bios roms
    I guess over time they became corrupted. I replaced them with the roms from my 5155 and the machine booted fine
    So now im here searching for someone who can burn me some roms. The roms are in sockets u18 and u19

    http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160...revisions.html

    Heres a link to the rom images and some info. If anyone can burn me some roms, I'd be very greatful. Of course I can pay for work, chips, shipping etc.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Forest, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpi View Post
    Hi everyone.

    I finally got my 5160 all fixed up minus one thing -
    The bios roms
    I guess over time they became corrupted. I replaced them with the roms from my 5155 and the machine booted fine
    So now im here searching for someone who can burn me some roms. The roms are in sockets u18 and u19

    http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160...revisions.html

    Heres a link to the rom images and some info. If anyone can burn me some roms, I'd be very greatful. Of course I can pay for work, chips, shipping etc.

    Thanks
    I can burn them for you. But I am not sure I have any 27256/27C256 available, I can check my parts boxes later today. If anything, local surplus store has OTP 27C256 ROMs for $1 each: http://www.surplusgizmos.com/AM27C25...OM_p_2985.html. Hopefully, you don't want to erase and reprogram them later.

    Note that I am busy and out of town till after Memorial Day. So you'll need to find someone else to program your ROMs if you need it sooner.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    I can burn them for you. But I am not sure I have any 27256/27C256 available, I can check my parts boxes later today. If anything, local surplus store has OTP 27C256 ROMs for $1 each: http://www.surplusgizmos.com/AM27C25...OM_p_2985.html. Hopefully, you don't want to erase and reprogram them later.

    Note that I am busy and out of town till after Memorial Day. So you'll need to find someone else to program your ROMs if you need it sooner.
    Hi, im in no big hurry, so any time you could get back to me would be great. How much do you want to do it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Forest, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpi View Post
    Hi, im in no big hurry, so any time you could get back to me would be great. How much do you want to do it?
    Just the parts cost and shipping: The ROMs price seems to be $2 for two OTP 27C256, or about $10 for two UV EPROM 27C256. The shipping is $5 for a small USPS First Class package.
    So the total is either $7 or $15 depending on the ROM type.

    What is the BIOS revision you'd like to get? The latest revision 05/09/86?
    While we are at it, do you want diagnostic ROMs too? http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supe...mark%20ROM.htm

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    Just the parts cost and shipping: The ROMs price seems to be $2 for two OTP 27C256, or about $10 for two UV EPROM 27C256. The shipping is $5 for a small USPS First Class package.
    So the total is either $7 or $15 depending on the ROM type.

    What is the BIOS revision you'd like to get? The latest revision 05/09/86?
    While we are at it, do you want diagnostic ROMs too? http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supe...mark%20ROM.htm
    Hi, we can do the 2$ roms. Im not concerned about reburning, and I dont want the chance of corruption from UV again. I'd like the latest revision unless there is some sort of benefit of an older one. And sure, why not some diagnostic roms. So 4 roms + shipping, is about $15? If that works for you, that would be amazing!

    Thanks
    - Chris

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Hi, I actually just now looked into the Diagnostic ROMS, seems I could use some for some of my other machines. Like 5150, 5155, 5160, 5170. So I guess that makes it 10 ROMS. If we use the OTP 27c256, that would be 10 roms or $10. Plus $5 shipping. I know that's a lot of work for 10 ROMS, so there's no worries if you don't want to. But, if you don't mind doing it, would you want more than $15 for the lot?

    Thanks
    - Chris

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Forest, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpi View Post
    Hi, I actually just now looked into the Diagnostic ROMS, seems I could use some for some of my other machines. Like 5150, 5155, 5160, 5170. So I guess that makes it 10 ROMS. If we use the OTP 27c256, that would be 10 roms or $10. Plus $5 shipping. I know that's a lot of work for 10 ROMS, so there's no worries if you don't want to. But, if you don't mind doing it, would you want more than $15 for the lot?

    Thanks
    - Chris
    Sorry for delay. I've sent you a PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •