Image Map Image Map
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 331

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

  1. #311
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    6,151
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    He's a hardcore mercenary scrapper
    Sorry, my mistake; I have trouble telling various sects of deskthority people apart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    Put them under a glass case and look at them?
    The keyboard collectors I know (that don't part out the switches) try to adapt them to USB to be used with modern systems.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

  2. #312
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Sorry, my mistake; I have trouble telling various sects of deskthority people apart.
    It's okay, they blend. I think the operative part of "mercenary scrapper" is "mercenary", and there seems to be more than adequate evidence that both his behavior and attitude while at the warehouse could be charitably described by that word. And that's apparently not what the curators wanted to deal with.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  3. #313
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    But apparently he collected them only to harvest the key switches from them, which he can resell to mechanical keyboard enthusiasts for a few bucks each (to swap into modern keyboards), and make big money. Unless he has a change of heart, the rest of each keyboard will be scrapped, just like killing an elephant for its ivory.
    I get the analogy, but killing elephants is not the same level as parting out a keyboard
    -- Brian

    Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

  4. #314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The keyboard collectors I know (that don't part out the switches) try to adapt them to USB to be used with modern systems.
    This renders the exact same number of vintage systems unusable as if the keyboards were scrapped for their parts. That's not better, in my book.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

  5. #315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I get the analogy, but killing elephants is not the same level as parting out a keyboard
    It's refreshing to see that some assessments are still rational.

    Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    This renders the exact same number of vintage systems unusable as if the keyboards were scrapped for their parts. That's not better, in my book.
    Basically you're putting the collectors into a similar category as the scavengers and I can't say that I disagree with that reasoning.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  6. #316
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,229
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Unless they're covered under the Endangered Species Act then I say "so what". Should have grabbed 'em when they were plentiful.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

  7. #317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It's refreshing to see that some assessments are still rational.

    Basically you're putting the collectors into a similar category as the scavengers and I can't say that I disagree with that reasoning.
    If by "collector", you mean someone who takes a rare piece of history and modifies it then, yes, I'm putting them into a similar category as a scrapper.
    If by "collector", you mean someone who takes a rare piece of history and preserves it for future generations then no, I'm not putting them into a similar category as a scrapper.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

  8. #318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I get the analogy, but killing elephants is not the same level as parting out a keyboard
    tbh I think a keyboard has more meaning to me than some big dumb elephant

  9. #319
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    6,151
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    This renders the exact same number of vintage systems unusable as if the keyboards were scrapped for their parts. That's not better, in my book.
    It's slightly better, in that the keyboards can someday be reunited with their host systems.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

  10. #320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    It's slightly better, in that the keyboards can someday be reunited with their host systems.
    That's a very dim hope but it's a valid point.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •