Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Honestly, that's the thing that probably annoys me the most. When I see something locally and someone tells me (either in person or in the ad) about how much it's worth on eBay. First, in this hobby, anyone who might be interested in this stuff already knows what it sells for online. Second, if I'm going to pay online prices, i'd have already done it and had it shipped to my door long ago... i wouldn't driving all around the city to get one locally for the same price.

In the case of this place though, you'd think with the size of that warehouse and what rent must be, he would have needed to actually sell stuff and how many customers would want to wade through that and pay a premium for it.
    Wasn't always like that. When I purchased from him prices were more reasonable. Eventually, as other sellers prices crept up he started jacking up his prices too. Or if he did not the S&H was wacked. So sales went down. I think the Uhaul business subsidized the warehouse and it is Texas so rent is cheap if he did not outright own the property.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Said folks need to watch "Pawn Stars" re-runs to see the responses to "I saw it with a price of fifty-three jillion dollars on the Internet".

"Asking is not the same as getting".

Silicon Valley's "Weirdstuff Warehouse" succumbed to the "we're gonna price it like it's on the Internet" urge in its last years. It might have been sort of forgivable if they'd actually cleaned up and properly "showroomed" the pieces they wanted collector's prices for, but instead they'd just plop a filthy 5160 on a wire rack alongside a random collection of other mangy specimens and stick a $300 price tag on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Silicon Valley's "Weirdstuff Warehouse" succumbed to the "we're gonna price it like it's on the Internet" urge in its last years.
    Only on a couple of racks they though were collectable, and you could haggle with Jimmy about it.

What bothered me more is when i'd dump something off there to get rid of (two logic analyzers in particular) and the cables would get separated from the units

I actually took the time once I saw what had happened to put the cables back ON the analyzers.

WS suffered from attacks by the "Knob Bandit" along with all the other surplus places here.
    Someone would steal the knobs off of Tek and HP test equipment.
    Bob at Halted took the knobs off his gear and put them behind the counter with a note on the gear saying where they were

Silicon Valley's "Weirdstuff Warehouse" succumbed to the "we're gonna price it like it's on the Internet" urge in its last years. It might have been sort of forgivable if they'd actually cleaned up and properly "showroomed" the pieces they wanted collector's prices for, but instead they'd just plop a filthy 5160 on a wire rack alongside a random collection of other mangy specimens and stick a $300 price tag on it.
    And that is the general trend for these guys. They have had what hey considered trash all these years in a warehouse that now they this has turned into gold (well maybe copper ). However, if they actually spend time getting it cleaned out sorted then the profit margin would only be 300 or 400% not 3000%. And there are fools out there that will pay $300 for a rusted over XT.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

When someone is selling something face to face, they need to remember
    - They don't have to pay shipping
    - They don't have to spend time/money packing
    - They don't have expensive eBay fees
    - They don't have to pad the price to make up for other buyers screwing them
    - They don't have rich foreigners or businesses competing against the buyer
    - Auctions are not the same as a "buy it now" price, auctions can go insanely high or end at $0.99. It is mostly luck.
    - eBay "asking" prices are meaningless, and some "sold" items are BS.

Some buyers very well might pay more for a cheap item if
    - The seller warrants the item
    - The seller demonstrates operability or usefulness for a purpose
    - The seller shows the item is in good condition
    - The seller has proof of prior storage/ownership to certify condition
    - The seller has a proven track record
    - The seller includes a support and replacement contract
    - The seller makes the item easy to find/view or get more info
    - The item happens to be very exactly what one person is looking for (again, luck)
    - And optionally: Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Only on a couple of racks they though were collectable, and you could haggle with Jimmy about it.
    Really, I don't suppose I can blame anyone who has to make SV rents for trying, but... I don't know, in addition to the lack of effort put into making the "premium" items presentable the other issue was simply that the disconnect between the prices they slapped on them verses the general merchandise was so huge I never felt that it'd even be worth my time to start haggling.

(And there's also the factor for me that unless I specifically wanted something like an oddball serial cable or whatever a trip to Weirdstuff was more of an Easter Egg hunt than a serious shopping expedition, so I'm going in there programmed to expect "Impulse Buy" level pricing. That tended to be the mindset of most of the people I knew who also shopped there. If I wanted to pay a lot of an XT, well, yeah, there's eBay.)

That all said I miss the place. And HSC, for that matter.

What bothered me more is when i'd dump something off there to get rid of (two logic analyzers in particular) and the cables would get separated from the units
    That's another thing, the stuff on the wire racks was usually just bare system units. If you want someone to impulse-buy an old 386 for north of a hundred dollars it's probably worth spending a few minutes going through your back room and making a complete computer out of it; they probably did have the parts to do it on hand, even if they had to fish them out of the "gold recovery" bin or wherever they ended up after initial sorting.... anyway.

WS suffered from attacks by the "Knob Bandit" along with all the other surplus places here.
    People are terrible, unfortunately. Anyone who's ever worked in retail knows.

I hadn't heard of the "knob bandit", but I know if I was running a store and this sort of thing started happening, then everything would be on shelving behind a counter or in a back room with pictures in a notebook on the counter.

I really hate it when people take tiny bits out of a complete system.

Blog Entries

Knobs get lost or broken and you can get a few bucks for them on ebay, and they are easy to put in your pocket if you like being an ass and robbing stores.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

(And there's also the factor for me that unless I specifically wanted something like an oddball serial cable or whatever a trip to Weirdstuff was more of an Easter Egg hunt than a serious shopping expedition, so I'm going in there programmed to expect "Impulse Buy" level pricing.
    Actually, that impulse buying thing, I think about that often when i go to the monthly electronics swap meet. Most stuff doesn't have a price, and unless I'm really interested in it, i'm not going to bother with asking the price. However, theres been a number of times I've bought something I didn't need because it was priced at an impulse buy price. Many times though i'll ask the price on something that's unpriced and I either get the 'sizing up the customer' stare with some crazy price, or the 'make me an offer' comment. I usually just respond with 'Honestly, i don't really need it.. thanks'.

I did have someone trying to sell a super crappy trs-80 model 3 that was in really poor shape and in unknown working condition for $100 and told me 'they sell for $1000 online'. Uhh, yeah, i don't think so and definitely not in that condition.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; June 13th, 2019 at 02:46 PM.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA