Image Map Image Map
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    LGR is definitely a different generation. In the video you can clearly see him walking right by a bunch of CP/M systems, terminals, an Altos or two and he appears disinterested.
    He may have simply not recognized them. But he does have an Osborne and Kaypro, so he's not totally unfamiliar with CP/M systems.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    He may have simply not recognized them. But he does have an Osborne and Kaypro, so he's not totally unfamiliar with CP/M systems.
    Yeah, in this case I think it's less about a generational thing and more about his interests and target audience.. he's into gaming and so is his audience, so CP/M machines probably aren't his primary focus.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    The 80's IBM PC's(not clones) are the only thing that interests me.

I’ve only been in there once, but there were stacks of 5150, 5160, and 5161. There were some 5170 and 5162, but for obvious reasons not nearly as many. Many of the PC and XT systems I saw on the top of the stacks were missing parts, like power supplies and floppy drives. I didn’t dig to the bottom, but when I got back, that’s my plan. Matching monitors and keyboard will be hard to come by. Not a lot of that sitting out the in open anymore, at least when I was digging around.

I mentioned this in the video comments; I'd be willing to go down and pick & ship for people at their expense of course but its just affording the way to get down there... 50 people at $25 cover... but not 50 people who want stuff picked/shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    I’ve only been in there once, but there were stacks of 5150, 5160, and 5161. There were some 5170 and 5162, but for obvious reasons not nearly as many. Many of the PC and XT systems I saw on the top of the stacks were missing parts, like power supplies and floppy drives. I didn’t dig to the bottom, but when I got back, that’s my plan. Matching monitors and keyboard will be hard to come by. Not a lot of that sitting out the in open anymore, at least when I was digging around.
    The only true 5161(there's a second with a 5160 motherboard) on eBay right now isn't in the greatest shape and it's stupidly overpriced. The guy wants $500 for the main unit $240 each for the extender/receiver cards, and he doesn't even have the cable....
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    The only true 5161(there's a second with a 5160 motherboard) on eBay right now isn't in the greatest shape and it's stupidly overpriced. The guy wants $500 for the main unit $240 each for the extender/receiver cards, and he doesn't even have the cable....
    Yeah. They usually start at a bid rather than a buyout, because the people selling KNOW that these are in high demand. I was babysitting one such auction, and I'm kinda glad that I didn't win it, because it was creeping past $240US plus shipping, which translates to a lot more Canadian Kopecks than I was willing to spend.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmaus View Post
    For all you upset that you are too far....

It's worse to be 12 minutes away and be banned
    Gotta be “keyboard kid,” the only person who has been banned as far as I’m aware.

A good decision by the owners after what I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    Gotta be “keyboard kid,” the only person who has been banned as far as I’m aware.

A good decision by the owners after what I learned.
    This the guy who takes apart keyboards just to sell the individual parts?
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Yeah... And there are older systems and terminals missing keyboards now...

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Separating and buying proprietary keyboards from computers or terminals, rendering them useless. He was warned many times before he was not allowed to come back. A few of the others had bad run-ins with him while at CR. It was the right decision.