Image Map Image Map
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    Ugh... I should probably stop reading this thread. Living within walking distance of the Canadian border and seeing posts like this makes me feel ill. I'm happy for the guy and I'm glad that he saved those items from the landfill. It just sucks to know that I could do the same thing if I didn't live so far away. I've driven 4 hours one way to get things multiple times but 28 hours one way with only a couple days warning is too hardcore even for me.
    I feel you there; I'm 60 miles south of Montreal. 6 to 7 hours one way for something is my limit.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Heck, I live in Reno and that's too much of a trip for me.

I watched LGRs video and that place is dangerous for me too....all those XT and AT clones and 1st Gen Deskpros would be costing me $$$$ in gas on the way back.

Almost wish I had the venture capital to buy it all out, get some property here and start a decent retro electronics shop of my own. The resources where I live are lacking or just plain closed.

Blog Entries

Everybody likes a firesale but those type of systems that need work generally don't sell for much on any given day.

The biggest distance I ever went to pick up vintage equipment was a little over an hour one way, and that is kind of it for me unless you are giving away a Powermac 9150 or something.

I don't have the space for what I own now let along filling up a uhaul with items I would eventually get the urge to clean up, repair, and upgrade and then let them sit collecting dust instead of selling them off.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Now i was curious about how this place could look, now thanks to the LGR video i was able to see something from the insides.
    Wish i could go to the US just to get in the place, looks like lot of fun just walking there sure a unique experience.
    Nobody have more videos or pictures from inside the place ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Other than the ones from Canada the Computer Museum saved, and are on exhibit in their original unmodified-for-Hollywood state today in Mountain View, CA.
    Thanks for the correction!

However, I think the exception kind of proves the rule...

For all you upset that you are too far....

It's worse to be 12 minutes away and be banned

I joined the FB group and am having a change of heart. Now I'm thinking a one day excavation at a future event might be in order...at least 2 CRT, a 386 (DeskPro) and a box of random stuff. Budgeted out incl shipping costs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redmaus View Post

....go on. You can't just bait a post like that in here.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by Redmaus View Post

Being banned implies having been there at least once soooo... No, no, not really.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

If I went, I would NOT bring a U-Haul truck. I’d bring an SUV, and whatever wouldn’t fit in the back of that wouldn’t go. That’s the best way I could think of to force myself not to get too much. Not to mention I think it would be totally awesome to see all of that stuff.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”