Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Knobs get lost or broken and you can get a few bucks for them on ebay, and they are easy to put in your pocket if you like being an ass and robbing stores.
    Heck, you can even 3d print them now. Maybe those 'few bucks on ebay' are from the people stealing them.

Quote Originally Posted by legalize View Post
    I hadn't heard of the "knob bandit", but I know if I was running a store and this sort of thing started happening, then everything would be on shelving behind a counter or in a back room with pictures in a notebook on the counter.

I really hate it when people take tiny bits out of a complete system.
    I've seen it at places like fry's or similar, where people steal keyboard keys, etc. off the demo units.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Ok, I had a COMPLETELY different kind of person in mind when 'knob bandit' was mentioned.

There is a small part of me that would condone breaking hands for theft. Not so much the losing the whole hand like certain groups of people are known for, but I understand. Somewhere between 'slap on the wrist' and losing said wrist.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Actually, that impulse buying thing, I think about that often when i go to the monthly electronics swap meet...

I did have someone trying to sell a super crappy trs-80 model 3 that was in really poor shape and in unknown working condition for $100 and told me 'they sell for $1000 online'. Uhh, yeah, i don't think so and definitely not in that condition.
    Last few times I went to the local big HAM/electronics swap meet there were these guys running a stand stocked with Apple II-related hardware that literally looked like it had been collectively chucked down a flight of stairs and they wanted top dollar for all of it, thank you very much. (An Apple IIe with half a dozen keycaps missing and a Disk II controller inside that had a stub of drive cable attached because someone had literally just ripped/slashed the drives off without opening the case? That's $150, bub, take it or leave it, that's a collector's item!) Notably their stock seemed to be basically unchanged month-to-month so I don't know what they were actually selling that justified showing up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Last few times I went to the local big HAM/electronics swap meet there were these guys running a stand stocked with Apple II-related hardware that literally looked like it had been collectively chucked down a flight of stairs and they wanted top dollar for all of it, thank you very much. (An Apple IIe with half a dozen keycaps missing and a Disk II controller inside that had a stub of drive cable attached because someone had literally just ripped/slashed the drives off without opening the case? That's $150, bub, take it or leave it, that's a collector's item!) Notably their stock seemed to be basically unchanged month-to-month so I don't know what they were actually selling that justified showing up at all.
    Yeah, I feel like most Apple II series computers look like they got chucked down a flight of stairs with said key bandit hitting them on the way down. Plus, they're apple computers so they think that makes them more valuable. The only thing less rare than an apple iie is a commodore 64, so if these wind up in salvage due to their misguided beliefs, I'm not going to lose any sleep... let them keep trying to sell their "Apple Macintosh IIe Keyboards"
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

At least we're sort of past peak "L@@K! STOVE JORBS!!!!", but there's still plenty of it lingering in the air.

On the flip side, some stuff does sell for insane amounts. I just happened to do a search for Leading Edge stuff, and the keyboards seem to sell for more than the CPU units. (Pff, missed what might have been an early Leading Edge Word processing disk set that sold for almost nothing)

Anyway, whatever the Computer Reset guy did, he apparently made enough to pay the bills, at least until whatever happened.

Blog Entries

I don't know about you guys, but some items I used to think of as being somewhat common and readily available seem to be uncommon and hard to find these days, so they command a few bucks.

Most of what I collect has been recycled or hoarded.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems