Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Quote Originally Posted by dkarguth View Post
    Yep, that's me. I would appreciate it if you avoid giving the guy your business, as he was a jerk to everyone else who wanted keyboards. Also left a giant mess wherever he went, pulling things of shelves, leaving things on the floor.
    It's stories like that that make me kind of relieved that I'm too far away to visit this circus. I've been to a couple things like this before, and it only takes one hardcore picker like that to ruin the whole thing for everyone who's there because they might want something for what it is, not the dollar signs floating over it.

I never realized there was anything special about the TIPC keyboard's keyswitches. If these keyboarders have so much money to throw around then some manufacturer should just make new switches and take their money. (Right, the any manufacturer would get their legs broken by the cell phone everything-must-be a-touch-screen dealers)

Fortunately, most of the machines I am interested in shipped with those awful capacitive keyboards. :P

Anyway, if some facebook user would be kind enough to simply copy and paste any pertainet information here for the rest of the world to see, it would be appreciated. At least, the last time I checked our Zuckerberg overlord has not purchased laws making that illegal yet.

Alright, I requested to join. It already has 482 members, but perhaps I can relay something. I also loathe facebook, but it's useful for something so I let them have my name.

The keyboard situation sounds enraging. People who want to take one critical piece out of computers and use them for a completely different purpose think so differently from me that it's hard to understand them. That plus the thought that it's just a cash grab from an ill man is irritating. It's an expected outcome though - if we want to prevent it, there's no way besides to take the mechanical keyboards first.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    Alright, I requested to join. It already has 482 members, but perhaps I can relay something. I also loathe facebook, but it's useful for something so I let them have my name.

The keyboard situation sounds enraging. People who want to take one critical piece out of computers and use them for a completely different purpose think so differently from me that it's hard to understand them. That plus the thought that it's just a cash grab from an ill man is irritating. It's an expected outcome though - if we want to prevent it, there's no way besides to take the mechanical keyboards first.
    Yeah, I have facebook but I didn't request to join because I'm not in texas and I don't really buy PC equipment so I can't really be bothered to monitor that thread, so glad someone did for the others here who are.

I also get annoyed by the keyboard folks, but honestly, it seems like a lot of this field is a cash grab. If it's not the keyboard folks, it's folks buying up local retro systems only to resell them on ebay. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that, but i sometimes feel like that skit in the 'pirates of silicon valley' movie where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are yelling at each other about who took the tech from Xerox first... in this case, it's the keyboard folks and the retro resellers getting mad at each other and neither really helps the legit guy who just wants to get into the hobby inexpensively or flesh out their collection.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I also get annoyed by the keyboard folks, but honestly, it seems like a lot of this field is a cash grab. If it's not the keyboard folks, it's folks buying up local retro systems only to resell them on ebay. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but i sometimes feel like that skit in the 'pirates of silicon valley' movie where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are yelling at each other about who took the tech from Xerox first... in this case, it's the keyboard folks and the retro resellers getting mad at each other and neither really helps the legit guy who just wants to get into the hobby inexpensively or flesh out their collection.
    I try to temper my feelings by remembering that. That there's plenty of people on the other side just flipping whole systems rather than keyboards. Still, that leaves the other issue - that the resellers; while they're happy to fleece unknowledgeable sellers and then artificially inflate the market, making it difficult for younger people to get into it; are less likely to straight up destroy the rest of the system or make it useless.

Blog Entries

I think the overall feeling is: It's better to have the systems rescued by any means necessary, rather than end up in the crusher. Before this effort was organized, it was ALL going to the crusher. While the keyboard kidz and resellers/flippers irritate me to no end, if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...
    Of course, that's the problem with the keyboard kidz, their stated goal is to desolder all the keyswitches and scrap the rest. From a collecting/hobby standpoint it's just as destroyed as if a goldbug dissolved it in his garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Of course, that's the problem with the keyboard kidz, their stated goal is to desolder all the keyswitches and scrap the rest. From a collecting/hobby standpoint it's just as destroyed as if a goldbug dissolved it in his garage.
    What gave you this impression? (That they just desolder the switches.)

Every keyboard collector I've seen generally takes a retro keyboard as it is or puts an adapter on it to use it as a USB keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by legalize View Post
    What gave you this impression? (That they just desolder the switches.)
    Did you read this link mentioned above?

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=22030

Go down to the comments. The guy's threads have comments like this:

Already desoldered and sent off to E3E and gainsborough!
    re: switches from a non-PC-compatible source keyboard. Dig around the forums and you'll see plenty more, like when they murdered a pile of IBM Convertibles for their Alps switches...

Also the one encountered at Computer Reset apparently straight-up told the person that wanted a keyboard for his TI Professional that's what he was going to do with them, there's that too. Maybe he's atypical of "Keyboard Kidz" in general but just reading a few threads there seems adequate evidence to suggest there exists a significant subculture dedicated to keyswitch gutting.

I shouldn't have looked at the comments, he got a Displaywriter keyboard and was pissing his pants over it.