Image Map Image Map
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    If it wasn't for the hoarders big and small we would not have a hobby today.

I think you confuse non stable people with people looking to make an easy quick buck. .
    I don't know.. have you seen some of the exchanges Justin has had with some (now banned) folks on the FB page? They're not *all* a little off.. but some clearly are.

I have mixed feelings about 'hoarding'. I've certainly benefitted from that. I'm just saying for me, I don't want to get to the point where my 'collection' is rusting away in sheds, useless to anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I'll second that too. It's almost certainly about time they brought in a professional to deal with this situation. It seems like they've already had several bouts of basically open warfare over the tactics and behavior of some of the people who've shown up with their own personal obsessions/axes to grind, and every time they let the wrong person go in there and make off with tightly-picked pearls of the collection (like the aforementioned keyboard grabber) they're left with a harder job selling off what they leave behind at other than pure scrap prices.

Of course, the real question I suppose this has to bring up is whether or not there really are enough vintage enthusiasts out there with cash-in-hand willing to pay a "fair" compensation to a company or organization willing to put in the work to sort the wheat from the chaff and put it out there on the market in a reasonable condition, or is just sending all this stuff to China to be recycled without even trying to sort it actually, genuinely, the correct and reasonable thing to do from both a financial and a "preserve your own sanity" standpoint? Sometimes I do wonder just to what degree the prices we're seeing on eBay for our toys are built on a foundation of sand. If under all that dust and rat turds there turned out to be, I dunno, a pristine vein of Rev. 0 Apple IIs, would there *really* be buyers for them all at the prices to which we've become accustomed, or is what we see the result of a relatively tiny group of speculators just knocking each other out while the vast bulk of the population who mostly have what they want and are too poor to play are left on the sidelines? I honestly have no idea. I do know that most of the things that feel "expensive-ish" to most collectors today (leaving out crazy outliers like Apple Is, obviously) are still trading for well less than they sold for new even *before* you adjust for inflation. That's definitely worth a pause to anyone thinking there's a gold mine primed for runaway appreciation sitting there.
    My observation on prices, now that I have been tracking, is that generally they have been going down. Which I kind of suspected they would, given we probably don't comprise the largest group of hobbyists out there in the first place, and there are a finite number of us with living memory of these machines to feel nostalgic about. Apple II prices are a prime example.. I remember years ago an original A2S1 coming up was rare and fought viciously over. The prices went into $2k plus for even mid production units. Now? Not even breaking $1k in a lot of cases. My Rev 0 sat for weeks with no takers.

These things are fun to play with.. but with few exceptions, investments they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    These things are fun to play with.. but with few exceptions, investments they are not.
    Yeah, I don't understand the "investment" thinking in this space. I think some people go a little g00gley-eyed after they see something on ebay sell for $CRAZY and they think that this is the norm instead of a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Of course, the real question I suppose this has to bring up is whether or not there really are enough vintage enthusiasts out there with cash-in-hand willing to pay a "fair" compensation to a company or organization willing to put in the work to sort the wheat from the chaff and put it out there on the market in a reasonable condition, or is just sending all this stuff to China to be recycled without even trying to sort it actually, genuinely, the correct and reasonable thing to do from both a financial and a "preserve your own sanity" standpoint? Sometimes I do wonder just to what degree the prices we're seeing on eBay for our toys are built on a foundation of sand. If under all that dust and rat turds there turned out to be, I dunno, a pristine vein of Rev. 0 Apple IIs, would there *really* be buyers for them all at the prices to which we've become accustomed, or is what we see the result of a relatively tiny group of speculators just knocking each other out while the vast bulk of the population who mostly have what they want and are too poor to play are left on the sidelines? I honestly have no idea. I do know that most of the things that feel "expensive-ish" to most collectors today (leaving out crazy outliers like Apple Is, obviously) are still trading for well less than they sold for new even *before* you adjust for inflation. That's definitely worth a pause to anyone thinking there's a gold mine primed for runaway appreciation sitting there.
    And there in lies the rub. Prices on eBay have gotten ridiculous. I saw yet another $3000 MCA sound card listing (be interesting to see what it sells for). So any company that comes in to clean up will base their "fair" compensation on those prices. Now I am not saying that MCA sound cards should sell for $30 but $3000? Really? Why? And its not just eBay but even members in the "community" are asking for ridiculous prices. Of course they can't bear to full blame - if you paid eBay prices for an item you don't want to lose money on resell just because it is another "community member". Add to that the ever increasing cost of S&H and now tax and "fair" compensation becomes a very hard to hit target.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Individual systems can rise and fall with demand and supply but the stuff I am looking at seems to be going up in value not down and supply is getting worse not better.

Anybody with half a brain would quote scrap rates for that hoard minus the expense of moving it. Maybe you might find something of value to resell but few scrappers would sit on anything but a few rare cards. Even if you do find something of value you need to test it to see if it even works. There is a reason you can buy stuff cheap at recyclers, nothing is guaranteed to work.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

There is a reason you can buy stuff cheap at recyclers, nothing is guaranteed to work.
    And how is that any different then buying on eBay ? Oh yeah its not cheap on eBay LOL!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    And how is that any different then buying on eBay ? Oh yeah its not cheap on eBay LOL!
    Anything sold as used is guaranteed by Ebay to work or money back. You have to lost it under broken not working to get around that.

Anything sold as used is guaranteed by Ebay to work or money back. You have to lost it under broken not working to get around that.
    You are mixing Apples and IBMs there. The guarantee is provided by eBay.

My point is that the seller has not put in any time or money testing and cleaning up the goods to justify the higher prices on eBay vs. the recylcer. So there should not be any reason for their prices to be substantially higher then the recyclers. In fact many recyclers are just listing things as "working" and "tested" and rolling the dice that it will work and charging 10x, 20x, 100x more then what they paid for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    You are mixing Apples and IBMs there. The guarantee is provided by eBay.

My point is that the seller has not put in any time or money testing and cleaning up the goods to justify the higher prices on eBay vs. the recylcer. So there should not be any reason for their prices to be substantially higher then the recyclers. In fact many recyclers are just listing things as "working" and "tested" and rolling the dice that it will work and charging 10x, 20x, 100x more then what they paid for it.
    The guarantee is the seller will give you a full refund, its not ebays money.

Yea, I have seen listings stating "working" while thinking that part was never tested but who knows.

There are plenty of people who don't have time or are too lazy to go looking for a part and will gladly pay whatever they have to to get it mailed to them.

I have plenty of expensive pieces of computer gear that you would have to pay me 10x, 20x, or 100x what I paid for them just because I plan to keep them and put in the effort to find them before they got recycled when nobody else wanted them. Do you go up to people with mint original Hemi Cuda's and offer them 60's sticker price for them? Do people in California have to sell their houses for what they paid for them in 1960? People have found million dollar paintings at Goodwill and nobody expects them to sell them for $5. The other end of that curve is full of people who paid the going rate for something just when the market tanked and never recovered.

Blog Entries

Hemi Cuda != Vintage computer

And even in vintage cars, prices have been coming down. Most of those expensive cars are in the hands of older boomers who are ultimately stepping off this mortal plane. Anecdotally I don't know too many millenials who have any interest in a gas guzzling 60s muscle car.

And I think it's gonna be the same thing in vintage computing, where the size of the collector base is even smaller. Ask a retro gaming shop how many young people are keen on Atari or Intellivision. They don't understand the point of something whose screen res is less than 1920x1080.

Not to paint with too broad a brush - I do know young people who *are* interested. But if I had to lay real money, I would not bet the replacement rate for vintage computer collectors is enough to sustain price growth in the long run, except with certain rare machines that have a certain, current cultural relevance.