Image Map Image Map

Thread: Acer 286 with Dallas DS1287A and bios freeze

Default Acer 286 with Dallas DS1287A and bios freeze

Hi,

I recently received an Acer 286 PC with a Dallas DS1287A chip on it.
    2019-05-23 19.20.16.jpg

The computer boots with some errors (as to be expected due the battery being depleted properly), but it is able to boot from a floppy. (and I can execute commands there)
    2019-05-23 19.39.12.jpg

However, when I want to go into the BIOS I navigate past the initial menu, but when I hit the System Configuration Setup, the system hangs, not showing me the data/time/floppy/hard disk/memory info
    2019-05-23 19.03.40.jpg

Now I'm not really bothered by the fact that the PC cannot holds its config and don't mind entering the setup from time to time.
    However, before I start butchering the Dallas chip, I just wanted to know if an empty battery in the Dallas chip could cause such behavior ?
    Or could something else be the cause of this ? (I already tried different keyboard / videocard / disconnected expansion cards / harddrive / floppy / .....)

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpector78 View Post
    However, when I want to go into the BIOS I navigate past the initial menu, but when I hit the System Configuration Setup, the system hangs, not showing me the data/time/floppy/hard disk/memory info
    Similar screen shown in the Acer thread at [here].