Image Map Image Map

Thread: Need a offline map program that supports NMEA serial GPS and Windows 7

Default Need a offline map program that supports NMEA serial GPS and Windows 7

So, I've got a Panasonic ToughBook CF-H2 (3rd gen i5) that I think might make a nice OSM-centric GPS system for hiking or whatever when I don't want to burn through phone battery or data too quick - I'll need software that can store maps locally for display (ideally with bulk downloads) and can overlay the machine's location based on NMEA data over a serial port (COM2) at 4800 baud. This is a early new tens machine but a lot of it's design is weirdly antiquated... Anyone have any suggestions? BSGPS seems to do it, but it doesn't seem to have any provisions for bulk downloads (say, entire counties or states at three or four levels) aside from PNG tile abuse and it hasn't been updated in a while. ​ Ability to work with MBTILES format data is a plus since i've already got some downloaded, but as long as facilities for offline data are present it's no biggie. Cartograph looks promising, but it doesn't work off OSM directly.

(As for why not 10 since that'd let me use a NMEA to Location Services driver, this thing's only got 4GB of RAM right now and 10's UI is a little cramped at 1024x768 anyways)

I use HERE WeGo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HERE_WeGo

It has browser access as well as phone/tablet apps.

And it has both offline and online modes.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Huh. Web only, or is there a proper program that's still maintained? Once I've got this thing loaded up I'd prefer if it could operate totally offline.

Will Microsoft Streets & Trips work? It isn't technically maintained but you can still get 3rd party mapping data for it.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

I use an older version of Streets and Trips as well. The last versions do require a one-time activation when you install it but once that's done it doesn't need to go online again, plus you can load the map data directly to thew hard drive and the activation key seems to be reusable after a 90 day grace period.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by MrArgent View Post
    Once I've got this thing loaded up I'd prefer if it could operate totally offline.
    Yes, it does. You d/l the map(s) you need at home or wherever you connect and then you only need the GPS while you're using the program out in the woods. My tablet uses it on the Interstate @ 70 mph with no cell connection and no problems.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step