Image Map Image Map

Thread: Zenith ZFX-0246-50 Memory Parity error

Default Zenith ZFX-0246-50 Memory Parity error

I got a Zenith ZFX-0246-50.
    New battery. I got it to boot from the HD. But it crashes on Hi-mem test with a parity error. See pic If I pull out the extended memory card, it tries to boot into windows, but there not enough extended memory to start it , and it drops to a dos prompt. The memory card is not socketed. It has 2 rows of 18 ram chips. I have SuperStor ROM's I could use but I'm not sure if this is a 286 or 386. Also the ROM sockets are labels U215 and U216, So I'm unsure which is high and low?
    I could not fan any docs on this system.
    Ideas, suggestions? Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer. A picture of it might be helpful.

Suggestion #1:

Clean the contacts on the edge connector of the extended memory card. Or re-seat the card a few times in its socket.

Suggestion #2:

Sometimes, things are not as indicated. It would be good to see an independent indication of RAM failure.

1. Remove the reference to HIMEM.SYS in your CONFIG.SYS file.
    2. Boot to DOS.
    3. Execute the RAM test within a diagnostic such as the DOS version of CheckIt.

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    I have SuperStor ROM's I could use but I'm not sure if this is a 286 or 386. Also the ROM sockets are labels U215 and U216, So I'm unsure which is high and low?
    No damage results if you get the high/low wrong. Take a guess. If your guess was wrong, swap the ROM chips.

... If I pull out the extended memory card, ...
    ... The memory card is not socketed. It has 2 rows of 18 ram chips ...
    So, the RAM chips on the extended memory card are not socketed. Pity.

I could not fan any docs on this system.
    Unfortunately, CheckIt, or any other generic diagnostic, is not going to tell you which RAM chip (e.g. U56) has failed, but the indicated 'failed at address xxxxx' and 'failed bits' can help later.

Zenith machines have a "monitor ROM" that has several built in hardware tests. Press ctrl+alt+insert at power on and see if that gets you to a prompt that looks like a hand with finger pointing right.

IIRC press ? and <enter> to see a list of options that should include memory test.