Image Map Image Map

Thread: Windows XP Era Aopen Computer

Default Windows XP Era Aopen Computer

This was found locally, and I went and acquired it in person.

$40 not bad for what it is.

Pentium 4 2.6ghz (hyper threaded)
    1GB RAM
    74.5GB hard disk
    189GB hard disk
    Pioneer DVD Burner
    Wifi Card

"Aopen" brand, but it seems it was either a custom order or upgraded over time.

This has a higher end Nvidia GeForce 4 video card, specifically an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X. I don't know much about it, but it's obvious it can also output through s-video or composite as it has those ports on the back, as well as the standard vga.

It does have onboard sound but there is a Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) sound card installed.

The previous owner is a musician and used it for recording music, which explains the presence of a dedicated sound card, but I'm still curious as to the video card. Not complaining, though this is a nifty little machine, and being able to connect to an older TV for example through composite or s-video, is a great bonus.

I've been looking for a pentium 4 based Windows XP era machine for a while, and this is both running XP and is white/beige like my old family computer back in the 2000's was.

Well worth the trip. Case had minimal dirt and cleaned up really well.

mfg date is Jan 2004.

I got a keyboard and mouse with it too.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...17&oe=5D67EB17

Last edited by ScanDisk; May 25th, 2019 at 05:16 PM.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    74.5GB hard disk
    Sounds like an IBM Deskstar, or more popularly known as the Deathstar. Don't rely on it too much, they have extremely high failure rates.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    This has a higher end Nvidia GeForce 4 video card, specifically an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X.
    That's not a high end card, that's the second from the slowest card in the Geforce 4 lineup (the slower one being a MX420.)

The Geforce 4 MX series had almost nothing in common with the rest of the Geforce 4 line, it was more or less a Geforce 2 in disguise with a few bandwidth and fill rate saving features added and a new memory controller. And being based on the Geforce 2 means that it has no DirectX 8 support, making it a DX 6/7 card.

The Geforce 4 MX would be one of the first in a long series of deceptive graphics cards released by Nvidia that used marketing ploys or name recognition to try and push garbage hardware on consumers, often at inflated prices. ATI/AMD were guilty of this too, but far less frequent.

^

Thanks, I was only a kid in the Windows XP days, I was literally 6 years old when XP was released, I didn't know any of that. I will look for a better video card, I am already going to max out the ram, and I will pull the 74.5gb drive, and just use the 189gb one, as that will be more than enough for my needs.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

If you want a high end video card for the period, get a Radeon 9800 Pro, Nvidia had their awful Geforce FX series at the time that was more power hungry and a lot slower.

Checked out that card on ebay. It does seem nice, and isn't too expensive. Should be able to get it soon.

I checked out the drives, one of them is a Maxtor drive, and another one of them starts with "WDC" which I assume would be Western Digital?

Yes, WDC is Western Digital.

And Maxtor drives have about the same failure rates as IBM drives, I don't suggest using it for anything important.