Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Physically small desktop-type computer, with a floppy connector?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    If you feel like elaborating on the toolchain you'll be using under FreeBSD and what you'll be doing with it I would be very interested to know
    There isn't much of a toolchain needed, just fdcontrol and dd. You set the parameters with fdcontrol, then you read (or write) the image from / to to the floppy. I use it to read foreign floppy formats, like ND (Norsk Data) format floppies, see ND floppy disks. The "portable" (or as portable as possible) comes from the fact that I will need to haul this with me to a site to read floppies there. Last time on this site I brought my laptop, a 5.25 inch drive and a FluxEngine plus power supply, cables etc.. Unfortunately, the software for the FluxEngine doesn't grok all ND floppy formats (yet - I have no doubt that it will be fixed in the future) so many of the images captured were corrupt.
    Last edited by tingo; June 5th, 2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error
    Torfinn

I've got the Shuttle X bag, but not the shuttle itself.. (the black bag, post #19). I didn't take the Shuttle while I still could, I didn't imagine I would be able to use it for anything. But for this purpose it would have been nice. If I ever get to go to that place with the floppy collection I thought I would actually bring my big tweener machine, which does the job nicely (I use it for that purpose at my desktop). I also have a Kryoflux but I don't trust it. The tweener works perfectly, so I trust that one. If the Shuttle could do it it would have been a nice option.