Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XT parts/upgrades

Blog Entries

Default XT parts/upgrades

Come across this site https://monotech.fwscart.com/Main_Pr...5_4522226.aspx He sells on EBay and or local Trademe site but prices are cheaper if you buy direct. Most items can be gotten in kit form too. He even has a new XT mobo available using ATX psus. Has a issue with serial port in win3.0 but fine in Dos.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

He sells a decoder prom for the compaq portable that will allow you to upgrade to 640K onboard. The original compaq part is pretty much impossible to find. I bought one and it works great.

Blog Entries

If I am not mistaken most of the products on that site are based off of open source projects that have cropped up over the years. Hopefully the seller is adhering to their various licences and attributing the original creators properly.

There is some good stuff on there, but most are little to rich for my liking.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Yup! Most are based off of open source creations.
    My modified designs are on the Github, linked on product pages, as well as my original designs.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    If I am not mistaken most of the products on that site are based off of open source projects that have cropped up over the years. Hopefully the seller is adhering to their various licences and attributing the original creators properly
    Not much in the way of attribution.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nztdm View Post
    My modified designs are on the Github, linked on product pages, as well as my original designs.
    I think you need to really focus on attribution on your stuff. I dislike that it is not clear on your site, or the products, that they are not your design and confirm to the proper open source licence. They also seem to lack clear attribution. Someone should be able to clearly and easily work out who the originator for the designs are.

Just some friendly feedback, but I have no issue with you selling them, and I hope you make lots of money and keep filling the need for these things!

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I ordered one of these just got tired of looking for a old one on ebay and I love building kits..

https://monotech.fwscart.com/DeluxeF..._19478745.aspx
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Blog Entries

Cool let us know how it goes my XT-IDE is working wonderfully. I was lucky enough to have a 8-bit ISA high density FDD 8-bit card from a system I stripped a number of years ago. Knew it would come in useful.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nztdm View Post
    Welcome Jacob. I'll get a V20 and 8087 maths co-pro at some stage. The XT-IDE card is working well with DRDos 6.0 and GeoWorks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    If I am not mistaken most of the products on that site are based off of open source projects that have cropped up over the years. Hopefully the seller is adhering to their various licences and attributing the original creators properly.

There is some good stuff on there, but most are little to rich for my liking.
    Have you seen the price of 8-bit ISA lately? Some are going $US100 or higher. PCB manufacture with sipping+parts plus assembly+time testing. What's the hourly rate of a IT tech these days? I've looked at a few places and Jacobs item seem quite reasonable. Filling a much needed niche.