Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polymorphic 8813 System Diskette?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The convention for Teletypes was CR-LF-RO-RO (RO=127=rubout). Nulls (00) were returned when the tape reader was reading blank leader. Rubout is all holes punched--so called, because one could correct a erroneous character when punching tape by backspacing and hitting rubout, then continuing with input.

How many people remember manually preparing paper tape for transmission? Did this go out of style when the last Telex machine was scrapped?
    Many #5XBAR telephone switches were equipped with an ATMS system (Automatic Trunk Measuring System) that could do transmission and noise level testing on inter office trunk circuits. Priming information such as the number of the remote 105 or 102 type responder for the distant central office and addressing information for each individual trunk was punched on 5 level paper tape. This was fed into a large machine that combined the TTY keyboard, tape reader, and punch.

Since the master tapes were a pain in the neck to create, (we were technicians, not typists), we had a kit of stuff to splice and repair tapes including a gizmo that mostly sorta repaired the sprocket "holes" that the reader used to advance the tape.
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

I have searched ebay, and have contacted Athana and Diskduper, but I have been unsuccessful in my search for SSSD floppies with 10 hard sectors. Does anyone here have any for sale?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CPE1704TKS View Post
    I have searched ebay, and have contacted Athana and Diskduper, but I have been unsuccessful in my search for SSSD floppies with 10 hard sectors. Does anyone here have any for sale?

Thank you
    I have a number of 5.25" ten hard sector floppy disks available for sale. These are the hard sector disks used with North Star, Polymorphic, and Heathkit hard sector controllers. I am selling these for $30 per 10 disks plus shipping.

The disks are all used with data on them. They have been stored in an indoor, temperature controlled environment since new. I cannot test or guarantee the media, so the disks are being sold as-is. However, I have mounted and retrieved data from about 20 random disks in the collection and all of these have read without error.

The disks are various brands and part numbers. Some of the media is labeled SSSD, but these will typically work SSDD (and often DSDD). Some of the media is labeled DSDD. I cannot sort/ship them based on manufacturer, part number, density, etc. - you will receive a random sampling of ten disks. See the link below for a typical batch of ten disks:

http://deramp.com/downloads/polymorphic/disks10.jpg

To order, send me an email at deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the Yahoo domain name with your name and shipping address and how many disks you want. If shipping out of the US, then a phone number is required as well. I'll get back to you with shipping costs and payment info.

I can create a few ready to boot in a Poly-8813 if you want.

Mike