Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple II Plus joystick issue

Default Apple II Plus joystick issue

hi all,

I have an issue with the joystick port of my Apple II plus. I'm a beginner with this machine and not sure what's happening.

I have two different controllers and they both act the same: it seems like something is pressing left at all times. Makes games unplayable.

Someone that I chatted with some time ago mentioned that it could be a faulty component that regulates the analog output of the joystick port, but I can't remember what he said exactly.

Does it ring a bell to anyone ?

Thanks for your help!

2. Default

Something about the switches being pushed down or the Joystick stuck to the left ?

What kind of Joystick are you talking about, the original Apple or any suitable one ?

The original Apple can be calibrated (i am using MECC Inspector to do so, two small gears under the base)

Those Joysticks are pretty basic, Analog units with internal 150k Ohm potentiometers, and apart from oxidation easy to repair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by retroredrum View Post
    I have two different controllers and they both act the same: it seems like something is pressing left at all times. Makes games unplayable.
    There should be two small trim knobs for adjusting the center, have you tried adjusting the one for left/right until the drift goes away?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    There should be two small trim knobs for adjusting the center, have you tried adjusting the one for left/right until the drift goes away?
    On both joysticks the trim knobs don't make a difference sadly...

Quote Originally Posted by retroredrum View Post
    On both joysticks the trim knobs don't make a difference sadly...
    Probably your motherboard is faulty. Is the other (vertical (up/down) input in your case) working? Are the buttons of the joystick working properly?
    Check that four 22nF capacitors next to the motherboard joystick connector are intact. Check that four adjacent 100 ohm resistors are OK. If these are fine replace the 558 timers chip.

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Probably your motherboard is faulty. Is the other (vertical (up/down) input in your case) working? Are the buttons of the joystick working properly?
    Check that four 22nF capacitors next to the motherboard joystick connector are intact. Check that four adjacent 100 ohm resistors are OK. If these are fine replace the 558 timers chip.

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out and let you know.