Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What interesting PC/XT/AT clones have you ran across?

The Avon Beauty Vision laptop is different in entirely unique ways:

2. Default

Maybe it is something "usual and mass produced" for You, but currently I have A2088XT. It is a XT class computer, that it is used by me in Amiga 2000, and You can control it from Amiga Workbench. In past I had access to probably IBM 5150, which had something like "Dasher" written on case.
    Last edited by pgru2; June 11th, 2019 at 02:36 AM.

Blog Entries

I have three favorites, the first isn't even a clone.

IBM PC JX - 3.5" floppy drives with 5.25" expansion unit, black, proper wireless keyboard (no mushy keys), IBM pc JR graphics, sound and basic from 1984 (serial number is 300 and something). As much as I love it though, I wouldn't recommend one, it sounds better than it is ... everything is non-standard, it even uses PS2 style ports for the joysticks etc.

Apricot PC HD20 - LCD screen and calculator on the keyboard, very handy, and you can actually write messages to print on it from the computer. Easy to carry with handle, and monitor is super lightweight and gets it's power from the display cable. Keyboard clips under neath the PC. You even get graphics during the POST.

Wang Professional Computer - not a perfect clone but does run MS DOS. 8086 means full 16bit everywhere, plug and play bus system - basically the only thing you "set' on a Wang Pro is the default serial port settings in case you want to use a terminal. Want to upgrade the RAM? Just slap a card in, any slot is fine, no jumpers to set. If the RAM card has a parity fault, the computer will ignore it and a red light will illuminate on the board. Has diagnostics built in to ROM and can boot from anything - even the keyboard or printer port. Cards are supported/guided in completely with easy to use clips on each side and they're labelled at the back so you can see what's installed.

POST process also lights up binary sequences on the keyboard, so you can identify failures that occur before the screen turns on.

Instead of making people type commands, Wang replaced command.com with a friendly user interface (you can still go to C:\ if you really want though).

I just think it's neato.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Keyboard PC computers, like Schneider Euro PC, Sinclair PC 200, Olivetti Prodest PC 1.

Blog Entries

And there's always the HP Palmtop series. An 80186 (actually a "hornet" CPU) and DOS in the palm of your hand. I only finally acquired an HP 200LX this year.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I only finally acquired an HP 200LX this year.
    I also have one, but unfortunatelly without any accessory except of an PCMCIA memory card whicn is unreadable from Windws XP (Thinkpad with PCMCIA slot). So no idea how to transfer data.

Don't forget about Atari Portfolio, Poquet PC and Sharp PC 3000 series.