Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osborne 1 variation differences?

Default Osborne 1 variation differences?

So, I will likely become an OCC1 owner in a month or so since a friend's dad has one he wants to pass on to me. Second revision machine. What I'm wondering is... Are the revisional differences strictly cosmetic? Do V2 machines have a more likely chance of coming with the double density upgrade or the 80 column board? thanks!

As for preparations, I've got double density boot media written and have replacement RIFAs on order. I'm hoping to have someone with a single density capable imaging setup write me some SD bootdisks down the line. Anything else I ought stock up on?

osborne 1a came with single density drives by defautl unless you purchased the double density addon board. The ROM was also a newer version in the 1A. Someone could correct me if I am wrong but Im not sure the serial port on the original could go above 300 baud.

The purpose of the Osborne 1a was to make a structurally stronger unit. The original tan case units were made from vacuum-molded plastic, and the 1a is made from stronger, injection-molded plastic.

If it’s a 1a, I’d say there’s about a 99% percent chance it has the DD board. I believe on later 1as they started offering that as standard equipment, as I’ve never seen one without it.

If your machine has an 80-column upgrade installed, there will be a composite video connector to the right of the “battery” port.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about (not my unit).

thumbnail_IMG_4711.jpg

You can see the composite connector I outlined there. If you have that, you've got an 80-column equipped machine. If you have no composite connector there, then you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Here's a pic of what I'm talking about (not my unit).

thumbnail_IMG_4711.jpg

You can see the composite connector I outlined there. If you have that, you've got an 80-column equipped machine. If you have no composite connector there, then you don't.
    I wish mine came with the composite video out connector.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I wish mine came with the composite video out connector.
    My 1a doesn’t, but the tan case O1 I am getting soon does. It’s scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so hopefully it’s not smashed to pieces time I get it. The person I got it from said they used $15 worth of bubble wrap to pack it, so that give me hope. It’s also got some other interesting mods that I’ll outline in my Osborne 1 thread. I also have no clue as to the operational status of the unit, but I feel confident I can get it going.

Being an original O1, it should also have the black and white display versus the green my O1a has, so that’ll be cool too. I love the little 5” displays these machines have. The text that they display is very crisp!

Good to know my odds of getting DD support are decent! Unfortunately, I won't know much else about the machine until I've got it - it's in the hands of a friend over in Kansas.

Hopefully your floppy drives both work. They can be a little iffy to diagnose when they fail. The A: drive in my 1a is currently dead. There is a chip I suspect is bad on there that I’m going to try and replace, but if that doesn’t do it, I don’t know. They don’t typically come up by themselves either, so it usually means buying a parts unit to get a replacement unfortunately.

Thankfully, you can boot these from the B: drive, so aren’t totally useless with a dead A: drive.

And given PC controllers' handicap with single-density drives, it's safe to say this'd be one of those "ImageDisk can't save you now" scenarios... Here's hoping.

Blog Entries

Have you looked at P4 boards? I've got at least two here that handle FM modulation with no problem, as well as at least one P3 board. There was a "dry" period around the time of 486s, P1s and Ppros, where almost no motherboard supported FM. But for P3 and later, it's a "try it and see if it works" affair.