Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got my MCM/70

Default Finally got my MCM/70

I'd love to know if there are any other collectors out there with an MCM/70. Just thought some of you guys might appreciate a quick picture or two after unpacking it. It needs a good cleaning still. It is non-functional but I was expecting that. They are just not easy to find.

MCM70 Before - top.jpgMCM70 Before - front profile.jpgMCM70 Before - rear profile.jpgMCM70 Before - rear.jpg

Congrats! Super, Super rare.

If I may ask, did you luck into it or did you pay dearly

Do you intend to get it running. It's so old it probably has 1702/A UVEPROMS.

Blog Entries

Congratulations on owning a historic system! I envy you. How's your APL?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Congratulations on owning a historic system! I envy you. How's your APL?
    If I could get her working again, I'll let you know. I was worried there was a leaky battery in there that may have leaked all over the boards (for the battery backed shutdown) but it looks fine. They will have to go but it was a good design choice to separate them. I just didn't think there would be that many. Clearly, leaky batteries is not the issue.

IMG_20181018_2112360.jpg

Blog Entries

I doubt that many of those made it out of Canada.

Looks like a Gates SLA battery made up of X cells 6x2V = 12V. The ones in your unit are probably dried out and sulfated beyond redemption. Fortunately, they're still made:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I doubt that many of those made it out of Canada.
    I actually got this from the original owner from Pennsylvania and it looks like he sold them given the documentation I have.

Looks like a Gates SLA battery made up of X cells 6x2V = 12V. The ones in your unit are probably dried out and sulfated beyond redemption. Fortunately, they're still made:
    Thank you. I think you nailed it. Here's a quick pic. They are larger than D cells but not too much, in case anyone is wondering about the size.

IMG_20181018_2143118.jpg

Blog Entries

On the previous photo you posted: here, you can just see the "Gates" peeking out from the rightmost cell. From the second photo of the battery you posted, I can see that you're in luck--many of these SLA packs used welded connections between the cells; yours are the "slip on" terminals.

Blog Entries

Okay, now I'm jealous. Congrats!

How did you even begin to find someone with one of these, in the US no less?

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Congrats! Super, Super rare.

If I may ask, did you luck into it or did you pay dearly
    Thanks Slob. Sorry, I didn't see your post initially. The thread notifications are slow and sometimes I don't get them if I am browsing the forum as was the case with your post.

Anyway, I lucked into it AND paid a reasonable sum. I was fortunate enough that the original owner reached out to me via email with two pictures and a description of the system and asked me for an offer. A little research showed that his name was on a list of original known installations noted under Chapter 8. In the past, I have made offers that would be "favorable to me" in terms of existing established value and sometimes they would work while other times it would result in no further communication. I did a little research but I could find no evidence of past sales for the MCM/70 so I didn't know what to offer. I could guess at a lower value and hope the original owner would bite but I could lose the opportunity and I didn't want to lose this opportunity as I am certain it would not come up again (I think the ones remaining are counted with single digits). So I made, what I thought, was a good reasonable offer based on 8008 computers. It was not low but was a little lower than what the seller originally wanted so we settled in the middle. Both of us are happy which is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Do you intend to get it running. It's so old it probably has 1702/A UVEPROMS.
    I will make every effort to get it running. Zbigniew Stachniak who wrote the book on the MCM/70 and presented at VCF doesn't know any that are working so it will be a tall task and if I fail, it won't be be disappointing to me. Just having it is good enough for me. Last night I started to take the cover off but I couldn't see the main board. To be honest, I'm not sure where it is as it needs to be further taken apart. I couldn't find the Intel 8008, the upgraded 8k of memory (originally 4k) or the ROMs but the ICs I did see had 1973 dates. I would be certain the ROMs are 1702As as there was some discussion of this "new technology" in Stachniak's book that helped with this project. I just couldn't see the main board when I opened it up and it was late so I just opened the top cover an peaked in. I was shocked at how modern it looked on first impression but it was just a glance. I'll certainly take pics.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Okay, now I'm jealous. Congrats!
    Thanks falter. It really is my "end game" computer and oddly enough, I was already in the process of acquiring an MCM/900 while this email popped up. The MCM/900 is a later model with dual 8" drives and a printer. I was excited just to find this. I was shocked at the MCM/70.