Image Map Image Map

Thread: Please help me find the right kind of hdtv screen cover to reduce screen brightness

Default Please help me find the right kind of hdtv screen cover to reduce screen brightness

It's strangely hard to find something like this on Ebay. I tried various keywords but the only one that worked was privacy filter. I don't need privacy for my screen. I just want something that will be covering my screen as a film and act as sunglasses. My eyes are too sensitive for modern LCD and LED TVs and monitors. I weep even at the lowest brightness level. I guess non-backlit hdtvs are hard to come by? I really would rather fix the problem with some kind of screen film cover instead of using special TVs.

Blog Entries

How about a sheet of tinted acrylic?

Example

There are also tinted films Examples

Perhaps so, and if I can find one that won't change the display color, but only give a dimming effect. I can see about finding these in hardware and auto shops.

Blog Entries

Most modern tvs have a backlight setting, allowing you to dim the entire screen to your liking.

Also has the added benefit of prolonging the life of the display.

I think my problem was when I had the tv in a small bedroom with the light from the window from behind me and the ceiling light too, so that may have caused the eyestrain. I believe I had the backlight turned down to the lowest setting, and the brightness levels too. I have the tv in the living room now with the the blinds covered and no ceiling light too close to flash on the screen. I haven't noticed any issues yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dabone View Post
    Most modern tvs have a backlight setting, allowing you to dim the entire screen to your liking.

Also has the added benefit of prolonging the life of the display.
    Mine is a 2009 model, the Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD. It's a little TV, and yes it does have a backlight control setting. I believe they say the new LED TVs are even brighter... I've never owned another flatscreen TV so I don't know.

By how much does it lengthen the displays' life?