Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Interactive Television Box (cancelled prototype web-TV thing)

Default Apple Interactive Television Box (cancelled prototype web-TV thing)

Just listed this on Ebay. Wasn't sure what to ask, but it needs a new home, so low starting bid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133073167760

On the one hand, RARE UNRELEASED APPLE PROTOTYPE ST3VE JERBS L@@K
    On the other hand, early-'90s WebTV. :P

These don't do much as-is since the servers are long gone... If you search around by M-number there are a few forum threads where people have dug into them & gotten some results. Apparently they'll boot System 7 off an external SCSI disk, but getting video out is nontrivial. I guess you could also swap in a standard Mac or whatever motherboard and have an interesting pizza box PC. Otherwise it's a cool collectors piece for someone.
    Last edited by xjas; June 3rd, 2019 at 05:47 PM.

Would you entertain offers outside of ebay?

^^ I'd prefer to let the auction run its course, but feel free to shoot me a PM. If it doesn't sell on there I'll give you first dibs before I re-list.

It's not a "Web-TV" thing (ie web browser) or a PVR, it is a set top box using T1/E1 comms instead of cable.
    The internal code name was "STB" and went through several generations.
    Main customer was British Telecom.
    It is designed to work with a T1/E1 communications interface to stream video.
    Last edited by Al Kossow; June 4th, 2019 at 07:28 AM.

Al, maybe you know. I have an AITB with the developer (?) video card. Or what I think is a video card, since it has a DA-15 on it, but I never got a signal out of it. Do you know anything about it? It works fine otherwise.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Final price wasn't too bad IMHO. These things are just so stupid rare now.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Al, maybe you know. I have an AITB with the developer (?) video card. Or what I think is a video card, since it has a DA-15 on it, but I never got a signal out of it. Do you know anything about it? It works fine otherwise.
    can you post a picture of it?

Blog Entries

Dammit, I knew someone in Vancouver who was after one. I should of spotted this one sooner!
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    I found a post someone made in another forum about how that card is a video card used by developers. Of course the unit will probably still want to netboot with an image that has the software needed to make that work. I'm on the hunt for one of those cards myself but they're probably more rare than the set top box itself.

I'm trying to find the unit (I have two, but the only one I can find is the non-functional one I use for display purposes).
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html