Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pentium area (2)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    They made Socket 370 AT boards? I thought the AT style boards were completely phased out after the P1/ P2
    Have a review of one in Baby-AT format: https://www.anandtech.com/show/316

There were even Socket 478 (Pentium 4) motherboards in the Baby-AT layout with AT style keyboard ports. I have a datasheet for the Commell P4XB meeting that requirement. I guess it was easier to buy an AT keyboard port than to buy a new KVM setup.
    Last edited by krebizfan; June 8th, 2019 at 05:23 AM.

I may have been conflating socket 370 with socket 3....

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If the board has a real onboard floppy controller, and no blue LEDs, it's ok in my book.
    I have a Lenovo (ex IBM) Thinkstation S20. That is a Intel XEON based workstation from about 2011. It still has the 34 pin connector.

And as you say: XEON. And that is not Pentium.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    And as you say: XEON. And that is not Pentium.
    XEON is the server/workstation version of the Pentium and Core processors. The first one still was called "Pentium III XEON". For example the "Prestonia" series of XEON is using the same netburst protocol like Pentium IV. They have different CPU socket and mainboards, but they are the more impressive machines, wasting a lot more of electricity.

How about early Athlon CPUs on SLOT-A? (I still habe a whitebox PC with Athlon 700 and MSI's legendaray MS-6167 mainboard, with 2x Voodoo2 card in my store)

Blog Entries

The first Xeon models were Pentium II Xeons.

I would expect that the topic would include both AMD and Cyrix/VIA counterparts even though demarcation lines might not be quite as clear.

Well, might as well include all of Cyrix/VIA. They are either old enough to qualify either way, or they are sufficiently weird to have the same appeal as those "slightly incompatible IBM clones".

I stand corrected about the XEON. I should have known, being a data center manager, but it is such a "long" time ago that I forgot about them. And the remarks about AMD, Cyrix and VIA are valid as well. If you would ask me to draw a line, IMHO it is where CPUs got multiple cores. So a Pentium Dual-Core is out. But then, what about hyper-threading?

Thank god we have administrators, let them sort it out

Edit: reading the Wikipedia about the XEON, another line can be that the CPU has to be 32-bits. If I understand Wikipedia correctly, the first Pentiums were 32-bits only. From the 6th series on it was 64-bits.
    Last edited by Ruud; June 11th, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Just ban everything after 440BX

Blog Entries

Anent that, what about Itanium? It dates back to 2001. I suspect not many here use it.