Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentium area (2)

Default Pentium area (2)

The last post saying that only the Pentium-I is valid for this thread is from 2010. Isn't it time to include the II, maybe III and even maybe the IV? Or just all single core Pentiums? I would not mind.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Honestly, yeah. Even the IV is nearing on 20 years... and Retro IS in the eye of the beholder to some extent, though my interest admittedly wanes after the III.

Blog Entries

I just use Vogons for newer kit than P1s. They are very responsive and supportive.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I wouldn't call the p4 vintage or collectible yet but p2 and p3 definitely, especially among kids that grew up in the 90's. They're still not worth anything but I'm seeing a lot of people wanting the computers they had when they were kids during that time, even junk like Packard Bells

Blog Entries

A few people want what they had when they were a kid, but I would bet most want what they couldn't have back then (faster model, better brand, better cards).

The only machine I had back in the day and decided to get again was a C64 (back when they were free on freecycle) , but what I really wanted was a Commodore 128 + 1571 drives with RAM addon and a real Commodore monitor and mouse to mess with GEOS and that I got.

My first PC was a brand new Packard Bell 286-12 which I sold as soon as I could and built a 386. My old PB went to a friend and I don't wan't it back. I do have a few 286 these days but not a PB.

Anyway P2/P3 are vintage enough you don't trip over them anymore.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I agree that perhaps Pentium II and III should be included here, due to age. I still feel the P4 is a bit too new.
    But what do I know? I'm a new guy. Lol

If the board has a real onboard floppy controller, and no blue LEDs, it's ok in my book.

I'd suggest drawing the line at ISA slots

We are slowly reaching the limits of compatibility, which is a good argument for including later Pentium-era systems here.

Systems of the era now reach the point where available hardware is getting harder to find: Modern systems do not support ISA, PCI, PS/2 or other "standard" peripherals, starting to suffer from the same problems as older PCs. Also, while software compatibility generally kept things working, recent inprovements in computer security and bug-fixing have taken their toll. Hardware incompatibilities prevent older operating systems from working as well (while EHCI was compatible with OHCI/UHCI, the new xHCI interface is not).

While I am not interested in these newer machines, I see a valid argument here.

I feel the pentium III and older is included. I still see people using pentium 4 computers as thier primary ones so NO I dont think so. But my slot one pentium 3 is from 1999. I think it can be considered collectible at the very least. I think we need ground rules on what can or cant be included. I always thought the main role of this site was a collaborative understanding that the machines were from the 1980's and older for the most part.