Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentium area (2)

As said above, I am a data center manager. The day before yesterday we removed three different type of Itanium equipped HP servers with another eight to go. Of course I started some of them up to see what VMS would look like. The login screen looked like the one of HP-Unix. The guy who knows how to login is on holiday so that has to wait a bit before I can use one.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    As said above, I am a data center manager. The day before yesterday we removed three different type of Itanium equipped HP servers with another eight to go. Of course I started some of them up to see what VMS would look like. The login screen looked like the one of HP-Unix. The guy who knows how to login is on holiday so that has to wait a bit before I can use one.
    Will they let you drag one home now that's obsolete?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If the board has a real onboard floppy controller, and no blue LEDs, it's ok in my book.
    I have a quad-core AM2 that technically meets that qualification.

Personally, I consider the P4+XP to be the modern era, though as always, the goalposts move.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Will they let you drag one home now that's obsolete?
    Unfortunately not In the old days people could get old PCs etc. for free, that's how I got my first server, a Compaq 2500. But then the management found out that some people were selling their stuff on Marktplaats, a Dutch Ebay equivalent. End of this policy.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Pentium 4 machines are still a dime a dozen in thrift stores. But Pentium IIIs and older are getting scarce.

And c'mon, most PIIs and PIIIs are at least 20 years old by now. The original IBM PC was already "vintage" long before it was 20 years old.

I personally consider any computer 15-years-old or older to be “vintage”. 15 years is pretty ancient when it come to computers IMO.

But, this is just my personal opinion.

I like Pentium 4s a lot actually. My Dell Inspiron 8200 and 5100 are P4s, and I like those machines a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    I have a quad-core AM2 that technically meets that qualification.

Personally, I consider the P4+XP to be the modern era, though as always, the goalposts move.
    I've got a couple of AM3+ quad cores, the same situation--have both legacy floppy and IDE as well as SATA.

Sadly, the latest ISA-equipped board I have is a P4--and ISA DMA doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've got a couple of AM3+ quad cores, the same situation--have both legacy floppy and IDE as well as SATA.

Sadly, the latest ISA-equipped board I have is a P4--and ISA DMA doesn't work.
    AM3+ would be the FX series, quad core AM3+ would be the FX-41xx, FX-43xx. You can run AM3 CPUs on AM2+ motherboards which are quite a bit older designs.

From over at Vogons: "Intel chipsets, 875P/ICH5 is the latest you're going to get with ISA DMA" Those are late P4 era chipsets.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

The P4 board in question is 865GV-based and uses an ITE8888 PCI-to-ISA bridge. Doesn't work worth spit. Nice motherboard, too - Advantech AIMB-742.
    Same picture for my P3 I820 chipset board with ISA. The last boards that worked for me with ISA are all 440BX/GX.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    The last post saying that only the Pentium-I is valid for this thread is from 2010. Isn't it time to include the II, maybe III and even maybe the IV? Or just all single core Pentiums? I would not mind.
    I usually draw a line at the year 2000 / last beige pc enclosures / Pentium III & AMD Athlon / Windows 2000 & ME. Anything more recent than that looks too much like a recent pc (because then you enter the black & silver plastic crap pc era with Windows XP). Unfortunately a lot of stuff from the early 00's was manufactured using low quality components (remember the capacitor plague period 2000-2005). Concerning interesting high end graphics cards I stretch it a bit further until the year 2004 or so (last AGP cards for Windows 98SE). Still I can understand that people who are even younger than me (I'm 29) might be interested in early 00's pc's with Windows XP (games) and early gadgets (MP3, cell phones etc.).