Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pentium area (2)

Maybe it's simply time to ask the owners/admins if they're even willing to set aside a forum for such machines, instead of debating what should or shouldn't be included. I'm sure they would make the best decision on what "the limit" of discussion should be...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by classiccomputershop.com View Post
    I usually draw a line at the year 2000 / last beige pc enclosures / Pentium III & AMD Athlon / Windows 2000 & ME. Anything more recent than that looks too much like a recent pc (because then you enter the black & silver plastic crap pc era with Windows XP). Unfortunately a lot of stuff from the early 00's was manufactured using low quality components (remember the capacitor plague period 2000-2005). Concerning interesting high end graphics cards I stretch it a bit further until the year 2004 or so (last AGP cards for Windows 98SE). Still I can understand that people who are even younger than me (I'm 29) might be interested in early 00's pc's with Windows XP (games) and early gadgets (MP3, cell phones etc.).
    So, if it's beige, it's fair dinkum?

Blog Entries

HP dumped beige well before the 2000s. I guess a PII through PIII or up till 1999-2000 forum wont do any harm. Maybe bring some newer folk to the forum who may not have even heard of the older stuff being talked about here. I remember all the fuss about introducing a P1 forum. Nothing extreme really happened. Seems to be more of us older folder folk at Vogons these days and young'ns seem quite interested in what we have to say/show wrt old crusty x86 stuff and other systems.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Um, not really. Consider, for example the Vectra VL8 (P4), ca 2001 and beige.

I still use a couple VL600 cases for a couple of my AM3+ and AM2+ boards. Just replace the PSU with something a little more beefy and you're good. Takes full-height cards in a lowish-profile case.

But by the time of the VL400 series, HP used third-party motherboards, some with HP tweaks. ASUS and FIC were common.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); June 21st, 2019 at 07:45 PM.

I'm relatively new around here but I would think at least Slot-1 and Slot-A should qualify, or at least have their own forum..