Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anoyone use Dial-Up connections Anymore?

I'm not sure if Dial-Up is even an option anymore for large parts of Australia. Once a year has passed after you've had your home hooked up to fibre through the National Broadband Network (NBN), your copper phone line gets disconnected at the exchange. Not sure if there is even an option to have it reconnected but even if there was there isn't many providers out there who offer it as a service. Can't blame them as last count by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in 2016 had the dial up subscriber base at around 90,000.

It's unfortunately one of those technologies that once it's EOL, it truly is EOL.
    AtariPC.net
    Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

I thought dial up stopped being at all possible after analogue phone centrals all got replaced by digitals that rely on voip? The compression makes dial up protocols unusable or something? (That said, if that's true then how do faxes work?)

Quote Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
    I thought dial up stopped being at all possible after analogue phone centrals all got replaced by digitals that rely on voip? The compression makes dial up protocols unusable or something? (That said, if that's true then how do faxes work?)
    There's definitely some VOIP in CO's, but there's still a surprising amount of circuit switched CO's running ancient ESS and DMS equipment (at least here in the USA), that said, there are codecs and protocols for VOIP faxing, though it's not quite as stable as good-ole circuit switched.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Quote Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
    In Europe, the switchover is real; the majority of German phone lines is already backed by VoIP.

Modem links at 300/1200 bps are quite reliable if the underlying IP infrastructure is decent (i.e. packets have somewhat consistent timing without much jitter). Higher speed links either don't happen or are not stable.

For fax, there is T.38 - either your local VoIP ATA or the provider will convert between analog fax data and IP packets. Most ISPs support it.