Image Map Image Map

Thread: Options for getting a display/adapter for an old IBM 3270 PC

Default Options for getting a display/adapter for an old IBM 3270 PC

Hello everyone!

Currently, i'm the proud owner of an old IBM 3270 PC that's become the focus of all discussions upon being seen and more recently a major trip hazard to no fault of itself. It's a beautiful machine so it is. I can't remember the exact numbers powering it but it has an 8088, an unused but ready to go hard drive nicknamed "The Black Beauty" with PCDOS 2.10 and some utility software, a single 5 1/4" floppy drive, and a MG-160N mono card. It came with an unlabeled 3270 keyboard with the function keys on the left and packing the beautiful vintage click, the Microsoft Serial Mouse 2 with an adapter, Parallel printer cable, a IBM "Online Tutorial", Macro Assembler and DOS manual in their beautiful, bulky cardboard sleeves along with 2.10 install disks, Macro Assembler, MG-160N diskette, Fastback+ spread over 10 diskettes and finally, new diskettes that until recently where still in their film. The only things it needs is a transformer so it works on 240V, and iron out the current issue: Getting a display

So far i have had zero luck sourcing a display that would work with it. It says its compatible with MGA and MDA, but not CGA as it apparently has a CGA emulation mode, and it uses a 9-Pin D-TYPE for video. So i was hoping someone on here could help me figuring out some things, mainly:

• How rare are displays that would work with this 3270?
    • Would it be possible to use a converter? It's much easier getting an old Dell monitor and simply hooking up via VGA, but i'm unsure if it would play ball with that

I bought this computer and spent a fortune on getting it here (total cost of everything is just over half of what i paid for my brand new 4K samsung last year) but it has simply been sitting gathering dust. It's a real damn shame, especially as i looked forward to learning the ins and outs and developing on the machine. Getting help with this would be much appreciated, and i certainly would be over the moon if i could put it to use after all the years it spent in a cupboard across the pond.

Cheers,
    /AG

Blog Entries

You could try one of these https://monotech.fwscart.com/Eternal..._19478791.aspx and use a vga monitor in the interim.

Or maybe something like a 256k 8-bit Oak vga card might work.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; June 5th, 2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    You could try one of these https://monotech.fwscart.com/Eternal..._19478791.aspx and use a vga monitor in the interim.

Or maybe something like a 256k 8-bit Oak vga card might work.
    Thanks for the reply and the link. I quickly looked over the adapter and searched quite a bit for a VGA card and i think i will go for the former, mainly due to being more available and possibly cheaper in the long run.

Thanks!
    /AG