Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagate ST4096 Hard Drive Repair

From Mike's post it is clear I was right, it is most likely the 22 uf cap in the corner that has blown. I suspect piece was actually a fuse and not a zero ohm block. I see several other 0 ohm block on the other picture. It makes more sens to have a fuse there. I can't see clearly but it looks to have a 7 or upside down 4. I'd suspect that was the current of the fuse.
    Dwight

Thanks for all of the input! I will check the tantalum cap when I get home today and I will try to get a replacement fuse (I think that it is 7 amps) to replace the missing part. Hopefully I can get the drive working again!

Default The cap is shorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    From Mike's post it is clear I was right, it is most likely the 22 uf cap in the corner that has blown
    You guys were right! The tantalum cap is shorted and is definitely in need of replacement. I will buy a new capacitor as well as a new fuse and hopefully that is all that is needed to fix this old drive.

Thanks!
    Alex

You don't need to use surface mount parts. Parts with wires attached are OK to use as well. The only issue I see is for the fuse, it needs to be mounted so it doesn't short to anything. You might experiment with just a fine strand of wire and a 10 to 22uf capacitor. I'd go with a 30ga or smaller wire.
    I suspect it will work fine once you replace the cap.
    It would be nice if remote debugging was always as easy as this one was.
    Dwight

I replaced the capacitor and the fuse and now the drive spins up when power is applied! The drive also makes some noise, which I am guessing is the sound of the heads, but I don't know if this particular sound is normal. When I try to low-level format the drive with SpeedStor, it gives me a drive not ready error, but this could be due to picking the wrong hard disk type number because none of them match my drive perfectly. I am using type 12 because someone wrote that on top of the hard disk. Here is a link to an audio file of the drive starting up: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ds...AXh20kqg43wMRo I tried to attach the audio file, but it wouldn't let me for some reason. Are these sounds normal?

Thanks!
    Alex

That doesn't sound right. The two-tone noise should happen once then it should make some other noises.

Here's a youtube link (not mine) to a working drive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdnEDGsD5EI

Maybe the heads are stuck?
    Bobby.

I just opened up the drive and unstuck the heads, being very careful not to get anything on the platters. They were definitely stuck and I confirmed that they would move easily after unsticking them. When I gave the drive power, the heads actually moved now and it made a different noise that sounds like the one in the video. Unfortunately, the computer that I was going to test the drive in decided to stop working two or three days ago, so I won't be able to actually test the drive and attempt to low-level format it until I get my IBM 5170 fixed. Hopefully that will happen within the next week.

Thanks for all of the help!
    Alex

Cool! Excited to see the result!
    Bobby.